PDA

View Full Version : Do such endmills exist?

HankMcSpank
04-04-2013, 11:06 PM
My modest spindle, has several collet sizes up to 6mm, but frankly swapping collets is quite time consuming (n comparison to just swapping a cutter out)

99% of the time, I use a 3.175mm (1/8") collet....but occasionally, I need to use 3.8mm to 5mm endmills...to save me having to swap the collet out, I was wondering if anyone has seen endmills that have a cutting diameter wider than the shank (therefore for example 4mm cutter on a 3.175mm shank).

yes, I know there probably wouldn't be much demand (on account such a cutter would be weaker than normal), but I only make light cuts on acrylic acrylic, FR4 & the time savings for me would be a massive win.

I'm not even *that* fussed about precision (I typically use the larger cutters to skim a bit of depth of some material), so had even thought about getting a 4mm standard endmill turned down so the shaft is 3.175mm etc.

Ricardoco
04-04-2013, 11:12 PM
My modest spindle, has several collet sizes up to 6mm, but frankly swapping collets is quite time consuming (n comparison to just swapping a cutter out)

99% of the time, I use a 3.175mm (1/8") collet....but occasionally, I need to use 3.8mm to 5mm endmills...to save me having to swap the collet out, I was wondering if anyone has seen endmills that have a cutting diameter wider than the shank (therefore for example 4mm cutter on a 3.175mm shank).

yes, I know there probably wouldn't be much demand (on account such a cutter would be weaker than normal), but I only make light cuts on acrylic acrylic, FR4 & the time savings for me would be a massive win.

I'm not even *that* fussed about precision (I typically use the larger cutters to skim a bit of depth of some material), so had even thought about getting a 4mm standard endmill turned down so the shaft is 3.175mm etc. Well the other way around exists IE 6mm shank 3mm endmill in fact do a search on ebay for 6mm shank endmill and you will see plenty of different size cutters with a 6 mm shank.. If that is any help..

Rick

GEOFFREY
04-04-2013, 11:13 PM
There are pcb drills like that so I guess there are probably endmills too. G.

HankMcSpank
04-04-2013, 11:31 PM
Well the other way around exists IE 6mm shank 3mm endmill in fact do a search on ebay for 6mm shank endmill and you will see plenty of different size cutters with a 6 mm shank.. If that is any help..

Rick

Yes, but those 'other way' cutters tend to be very expensive...to give you an idea, the 3.175mm shank drills I use (which are perfectly fine) are about 60p each....

10pcs 0.8mm/ PCB Print Circuit Board Carbide Drills Bit End CNC Jewelry | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10pcs-0-8mm-PCB-Print-Circuit-Board-Carbide-Drills-Bit-End-CNC-Jewelry-/330657994508?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item4cfcc0970c)

...not much heartache when one of those snaps, but a 6mm shank/0.8mm dia drill....well, if it even exists, I'd be a broken man if it snapped!

Ricardoco
04-04-2013, 11:46 PM
Yes, but those 'other way' cutters tend to be very expensive...to give you an idea, the 3.175mm shank drills I use (which are perfectly fine) are about 60p each....

10pcs 0.8mm/ PCB Print Circuit Board Carbide Drills Bit End CNC Jewelry | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10pcs-0-8mm-PCB-Print-Circuit-Board-Carbide-Drills-Bit-End-CNC-Jewelry-/330657994508?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item4cfcc0970c)

...not much heartache when one of those snaps, but a 6mm shank/0.8mm dia drill....well, if it even exists, I'd be a broken man if it snapped!Yeh i see what you mean, i wonder if you could get some 6mm collars made with varios hole sizes that would just slip in makeing it easier to change them..?

Rick

HankMcSpank
04-04-2013, 11:52 PM
well if I had a lathe I'd just buy some cheap large dia. endmills & turn the shanks down to 1/8" (as it goes I did have a mini lathe but I spent more time fixing it than using it - it got sold!)