PDA

View Full Version : Marking forums read

tumutbound
09-04-2013, 03:28 PM
It might be just my ageing eyes but I can't find a Mark Forums Read button since the forum upgrade.
Is there a way to mark the forums read?

Mad Professor
09-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Lee keeps on moving it, but I have now given up looking for it.

Clive S
09-04-2013, 05:41 PM
I think it is now automatic as it appears to mark them read after a few hours of reading them... Clive

Lee Roberts
10-04-2013, 10:02 AM
Hi,

Clive is somewhat correct; here is a quote from the forum software Manual:

This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read.
1. Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.
2. Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.
3. Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.

This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.

We have option 3. Selected and the marking limit is set to 10 days. These settings have always been the same.

The link to “Mark Forums Read” has been removed from the main navigation bar, however it is still available and will remain in/on the Forum navigation bar, when browsing individual forums. Please see the screen shot below for a better indication as to where this is.

I’m continuing to work towards making the forum less cluttered, for smother transactions and much easier navigation. Out of the box the forum software has quite a bit of padding/bumph of duplicated links that take users to the same place, there really isn’t any need for this and in some cases can be confusing.

Sorry to have inconvenienced anyone.

.Me

tumutbound
10-04-2013, 11:09 AM
I can see the option to mark a specific forum read, I was asking about one to make ALL forums read.
Perhaps the Latest Pictures option could be replaced with something a bit more useful like the Mark Forums Read?