PDA

View Full Version : setting up a business

dstivens
15-05-2013, 01:14 PM
hello all,

Sorry if this in the wrong place I wasn't sure where to put it.

Anyway I have finished off my build and I have made some nice things with my machine. However I want to take it to the next level and make things to sell. I will be doing this as a second income for the time being and it will be mainly on-line sales I would think. I want to be as legal as possible just in case so I wanted to ask a few questions.

Can i use the machine i have built my self within a business? do i need some kind of CE mark or something to say its safe to use?
I need to look at the deeds for the house etc, but im assuming that working from home making stuff in my shed might not be possible?
If i can indeed use my self built machine what safety items do i need to install, on the machine and in the shop as a whole?

Very much appreciate any responses.:encouragement:

Dave

irving2008
15-05-2013, 01:59 PM
hello all,

Sorry if this in the wrong place I wasn't sure where to put it.

Anyway I have finished off my build and I have made some nice things with my machine. However I want to take it to the next level and make things to sell. I will be doing this as a second income for the time being and it will be mainly on-line sales I would think. I want to be as legal as possible just in case so I wanted to ask a few questions.

Can i use the machine i have built my self within a business? do i need some kind of CE mark or something to say its safe to use?
I need to look at the deeds for the house etc, but im assuming that working from home making stuff in my shed might not be possible?
If i can indeed use my self built machine what safety items do i need to install, on the machine and in the shop as a whole?

Very much appreciate any responses.:encouragement:

Dave

Assuming you are a sole trader and the only operator of the machine you can do what you like. if someone else operates the machine on your behalf as an employee you will need to look at employers liability insurance and therefore safety measures, guards, etc.

general safety measures like an e-stop button and the wearing of safety glasses should be standard anyway for your own safety.

it would be rare for house deeds to generically prevent running a business from home. mine for instance prevent me being a doctors surgery or doing anything in the motor trade. of course neighbours might object to noise etc. but assuming you aren't creating a nuisance no one's likely to care.

you could be liable to business rates on a part of the property but this would be rare for for a garden shed operation..

bikepete
15-05-2013, 04:51 PM
If you have a mortgage there may be something in the t&cs - ISTR asking once on mine about running a business (non CNC related) from home. Wasn't a problem for a 'paperwork only' type business but they were a bit iffy about anything involving keeping 'stock' (of whatever value) on the premises. Not really sure why...

The home insurance said much the same. I suspect anything over and above paperwork might be an issue for them - but perhaps they could exclude the shed from the policy or something. Dunno.

Only other thing I can think of is that a fire extinguisher on hand is a good idea in any case as are proper electrics for the shed.

GEOFFREY
15-05-2013, 06:08 PM
I work from home on a part -time basis. Business rates on part of the premises will apply if the rating authority are aware of it. I think you will find that your home insurance company will want to know all details, and in my own case put a loading on the premium (serves me right for being honest!). Good luck with your venture - from little acorns, mighty oaks are grown. G.

dstivens
16-05-2013, 07:42 AM
thank you for all the responses :beer:

looks like i need to look into a few things but that's put some of my worries to rest. I was considering renting a small industrial unit to set up in as i would assume they are all set-up for housing businesses and then that keeps things separated from the house but i don't think ill be pulling in enough profit (at first) to justify that.

I do have a fire extinguisher, fire blanket, fire alarm, e-stop and the wiring is all housed in pipework and was ok'd by a electrician (although not signed off).

hopefully i wont have too much stock on hand it will be mainly wood stock and items will probably made to order mostly due to having to do this on the side of my main job for now.

Thank you again:applause:

Ralph
16-05-2013, 10:28 PM
I knew a fella a while back that left Tyrrell racing and set up a one man band outfit in his shed. From the outside, it looked just like a large shed. Open the door though and it had been sound insulated so even the door was about 8" thick! He was running a CNC mill in there producing nylon parts with the spindle running flat out.
From the outside, you'd never know...