PDA

View Full Version : RFQ: Custom M12 Bolts make in PEEK

Tenson
03-06-2013, 12:15 PM
I have a friend who needs twelve (12) 25mm M12 bolts made from PEEK (this stuff (http://www.directplastics.co.uk/peek-rod)).

He knows it will be a bit expensive, so please if you want a bit of cash let me know your price!

Tenson
06-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Can no-one help? I thought it would be easy on a CNC lathe?

blackburn mark
06-06-2013, 03:17 PM
I was tempted to have a pop just for the love of science (I’ve never touched peek)
I can’t find an application for the stuff personally…. Way to pricy and time is just a little short to justify doing it to salve my curiosity.
I’m sure someone will have a go if you keep pressing.

Tenson
06-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Application? You don't want to know! ;)

Tenson
06-06-2013, 04:08 PM
P.S. You don't need to do it for curiosity, you can have money!

irving2008
06-06-2013, 04:52 PM

but now we definitely do :biggrin:

Fivetide
06-06-2013, 05:33 PM
I reckon a space ship .. no no .. an adroid ??

asbo
06-06-2013, 05:47 PM
I bet its a sex thing :emmersed:

Jonathan
06-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Having googled 'machining PEEK', it doesn't look especially difficult so I suppose I could do it. It's an expensive gamble though...

m_c
07-06-2013, 12:26 AM
The big question is what kind of head is required on the bolt?
If it's a hex head, then it adds to the level of complexity.

I'd offer, but I've just not got any time right now.

birchy
07-06-2013, 12:34 AM
I bet its a sex thing :emmersed:
Probably a butt plug for an "Engineers and Tarts" theme party. I wonder if we'll get invited? :devilish:

Tenson
07-06-2013, 01:05 AM
Can you imagine the sex toy that needs m12 bolts?

http://s7.postimg.org/tqei717cb/970668_4973152569571_1434259651_n.jpg

I'm not sure if they need a hex head, I bet they could probably be done with a round head and a slot for a decent screw

driver.

blackburn mark
07-06-2013, 01:09 PM

"It is one of the few plastics compatible with ultra-high vacuum"(Wikipedia)

dense plasma focus fusion device maybe?
I could do with one to run the Delorean :)

Spedley
07-06-2013, 02:10 PM
I read that and I'm not sure what an 'ultra-high' vacuum is? :-) Surely you can't get any more vacuous than a vacuum unless it has some extra 'nothing' in it!

AdCNC
07-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Peek is loverly to machine and they will be a breeze to do but for me its fitting you in I'm afraid :-(

blackburn mark
07-06-2013, 06:27 PM
I read that and I'm not sure what an 'ultra-high' vacuum is? :-) Surely you can't get any more vacuous than a vacuum unless it has some extra 'nothing' in it!

Most plastic "gas" and getting a full vacuum or close to full is (apparently) a tough nut to crack.

I guess with a syringe it is possible to put a bit of hydraulic oil in it then evacuate all the bubbles put your finger over the end and pull a full vacuum.... I reckon with a larger vacuum chamber it gets a bit like the frog trying to cross the road by only jumping half of the distance remaining.... it never quite makes it across to the other side :)
as the pressure drops there is less and less to remove.... at what point is there one gas atom left and how does the pump get the lousy fooooker out lol

Spedley
08-06-2013, 03:39 PM
I believe you get the last bit out by cooling, after all a vacuum is actually about pressure caused by heated particles.
Yes, it would seem that Peek has no gaseous content so is unaffected by long term vacuum. Strange how there are solutions to problems I never knew existed! :-)

Tenson
10-06-2013, 02:17 PM
My friend said he is willing to pay £150 including material for the 12 bolts. A sample can be provided to copy. Is anyone interested?

IanParkin
10-06-2013, 09:16 PM
I can certainly make them for you quickly
only on a manual lathe mind
what pitch would you friend need?
and what head? round or hex?

I would be happy to make on reciept of material before being paid

Ian

Tenson
12-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Thank you for the offer Ian. BlackburnMark offered to give it a go just before you so I'll get in contact with you again if he changes his mind or something. Speed is not important since my friend has still not sent the sample!

mekanik
16-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Hi Guys
Just out of interest, how will you be gauging the thread ?

blackburn mark
16-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Hi Guys
Just out of interest, how will you be gauging the thread ?

With a thread gauge (like a pocket knife with thread patterns cut in the blades)
you could use a camera if your cnc has one... If it is M12 it can only be one of a slack handful pitches

mekanik
16-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Hi Mark
That only lets you know you have the pitch right, what about the effective diameter.
in another life i used top be a mechanical inspector in a machine shop and we had the luxury of screw ring gauges, i have thread parallels @ home but find them very fiddly in use.
Regards

blackburn mark
16-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Ah, so it was a loaded question then?

I would take it to Gandalf the Gray and ask him what the angle of the dangle was :)

mekanik
16-06-2013, 12:05 PM
I was thinking of offering to make them, but without a proper gauge it's not an option really, also the PEEK is GBP75 for 22mm Dia Bar so that only GBP75's worth of beer tokens
PS angle of dangle will be 60deg for Metric thread :cool:

blackburn mark
16-06-2013, 12:45 PM
I was thinking of offering to make them, but without a proper gauge it's not an option really, also the PEEK is GBP75 for 22mm Dia Bar so that only GBP75's worth of beer tokens
PS angle of dangle will be 60deg for Metric thread :cool:

IF my memory serves me 22mm wouldn't cover the full standard M12 hex head, it would need to be 25mm rod (next standard rod size up)
as an "M12" surly it can only be ISO1.75 or ISO1.25 for fine... I'm not with you on the "proper gauge", what is a "proper" gauge and in what sense would you need one? (just out of interest :)

mekanik
16-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Hi Mark
The little sketch doesn't specify a hex head and as someone had mentioned just slotting it i assumed 20.5 Dia not A/F(my bad).
1.75mm & 1.25mm refer to the pitch, the effective diameter has to be within a given tolerance for the type of fit required or the thread with either be too slack a fit or will not fit its matting component.
There's a little sketch in the ZEUS handbook that will explain.
I wasn't trying to be clever, i was just interested how an accurate thread could be produced with limited equipment, with a CNC lathe it shouldn't be a problem.
I would consider a ring gauge to be a proper gauge also the thread parallels, these are required to find the effective dia, in the case of the ring gauge you have a go-no go situation, if it fits and isn't a loose fit it's acceptable,with the parallels you do get a definitive size. just want to be clear that i have zero knowledge of CNC turning/milling ect
Regards:apologetic:

blackburn mark
16-06-2013, 02:00 PM
OK I'm with you, to be honest I am not so keen on the job either, I was thinking thread milling them was the way to go, two tool changes+slit saw, it would mean more waste (for work holding) but the hex head would be nice n simple
I would see how far from the 12mm the sample was and speak to the customer if there was anything wild going on.
I am sure with a thread mill you could sneak your way in till you hit the sweet spot then run 12 off..... but Iv never cut Peek....

I get the feeling the issue is one of material over an uber precise M12

m_c
16-06-2013, 07:54 PM
For CNC you still need some form of gauge to check the size/fit.
CNC has the advantage that it should be easier to get things on size, and then once things are set on size, they shouldn't change by much.

From the original post, I'm assuming tolerance isn't that tight.

Tenson
17-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Yes tolerance isn't that tight at all. They are only meant to be done up finger-tight. Hex head is not needed. However my friend said he has run out of money for now and will need to wait a few weeks.

anthonycooper
19-06-2013, 07:06 PM
hex rod ,,in the lathe no problem 2 min job :dread: