PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: Hi All

Avago
05-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Hi All,
Just thought i'd make my 1st post and introduce myself and ask a few questions.

I'm Tim Prevett,i live in Devon and work as a welder/fabricator for a local engineering company

I have an interest in composite R/C gliders and i would like to machine some moulds for the wings and fuselage instead of making them by hand.

I bought some CNC gear a few years back,but i never got round to doing anything with it.I bought 3 of these stepper motors http://uk.farnell.com/astrosyn/281/stepper-motor-1-8deg-3v/dp/9598669

and a compucut system.Anyone got any experience with this system?

I want to build a router table with a travel of about 6' x 2' for machining MDF,Plastics and maybe Ali.Would the motors that i've got be powerful enough to run a machine like this?

Has anyone got any links to useful links to the sort of software i'll need for drawing and machining 3d stuff?

Cheers

Tim

Lee Roberts
05-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Hi Avago, welcome to MYCNCUK. Please take the time to view the FAQ section for answers to questions you may have, if your building a new machine be sure to start a new build log detailing your progress !

Gary
05-03-2009, 11:04 PM
I have just looked at the specification of the motors you have, and i was a bit surprised to see that they have a detent torque of 100Nm :)
I was even more surprised that the holding torque was 1200 Nm :)

Obviosly a mistake, and is most likely mNm.
These motors are quite old, and low power, so i doubt they will be the best option, but knowing if they would work will be hard without knowing your mechanics, spindle power/ speed and the speeds you are expecting.

Hi All,
Just thought i'd make my 1st post and introduce myself and ask a few questions.

I'm Tim Prevett,i live in Devon and work as a welder/fabricator for a local engineering company

I have an interest in composite R/C gliders and i would like to machine some moulds for the wings and fuselage instead of making them by hand.

I bought some CNC gear a few years back,but i never got round to doing anything with it.I bought 3 of these stepper motors http://uk.farnell.com/astrosyn/281/stepper-motor-1-8deg-3v/dp/9598669

and a compucut system.Anyone got any experience with this system?

I want to build a router table with a travel of about 6' x 2' for machining MDF,Plastics and maybe Ali.Would the motors that i've got be powerful enough to run a machine like this?

Has anyone got any links to useful links to the sort of software i'll need for drawing and machining 3d stuff?

Cheers

Tim

Avago
05-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Thanks Gary,
I'm not to sure about all the details of this machine yet,I'm just trying to get my head around what i might need to get up and running on a project like this.

I've no real eperience with building,cad/cam stuff at the moment.The only experience i have with CNC stuff was running a 220 ton brake press at work,This CNC machining stuff is a whole new ball game for me.

Cheers

Tim