PDA

View Full Version : can I have my power supply in a seperate box?

nobby
12-06-2013, 01:16 PM
can I simply have my power supply in a seperate box. - IF you like, like a laptop power supply

with the three + and - feeds and an earth going to another box with the controllers and bob in?

can I use abs plastic boxes

reason why is, I would like the 3 motor feed wirescoming straight into the box and connected straight to the controllers, rather than having connectors, as I have connectors on the motors. Also I can then put the 240 out of the way and have the 36 mounted to the machine.

also I can use smaller boxes, with the giblets orientated better.

also while I am on, after I connect the controllers to the parralel port bob, do I then leave the cable inside and mount it to a usb step driving affair, at this moment should I be buying a usb complete break out board, rather than parralell stuff

can I then simply fit a wireless doofer to the usb port and send stuff to it wire-less.

m_c
12-06-2013, 11:33 PM
can I simply have my power supply in a seperate box. - IF you like, like a laptop power supply

with the three + and - feeds and an earth going to another box with the controllers and bob in?

Yes. No reason anything has to be in the same box, other than it's usually cheaper.
However you need to feed all the stepper drivers from a common start point, not by looping the power from one drive to the next.

can I use abs plastic boxes

Depends. Anything that may be suceptable to noise i.e. low voltage control signals, is ideally better kept in some kind of sheilded enclosure, however given lots of people combine power supplies, motor drives, and all the control electronics in the same enclosure, it's not that major an issue provided you use sheilded wiring and good grounding practice.

reason why is, I would like the 3 motor feed wirescoming straight into the box and connected straight to the controllers, rather than having connectors, as I have connectors on the motors. Also I can then put the 240 out of the way and have the 36 mounted to the machine.

also I can use smaller boxes, with the giblets orientated better.

also while I am on, after I connect the controllers to the parralel port bob, do I then leave the cable inside and mount it to a usb step driving affair, at this moment should I be buying a usb complete break out board, rather than parralell stuff

Parallel v. USB depends entirely on what controller/software you plan on using, and is a whole seperate debate.

can I then simply fit a wireless doofer to the usb port and send stuff to it wire-less.
NO!
Machine control requires very accurate timing and reliable communication, which wireless is not reliably capable of.