PDA

View Full Version : Imperial sized lead screws?

fentiger
14-06-2013, 08:34 PM
Hi,

I'm looking at building a CNC machine from some American plans. It's for a 25" x 25" machine designed by David Steele.

As it's American all the sizes are imperial which is not a problem for me until i come to buy the lead screws.

Does anybody have experience using these plans and finding metric sized parts as replacements?

The parts I'm currently after are...

Lead screw
Precision Acme threaded rod
3/8” Diameter – Right handed – 10 thread per inch – 2 start - 5 turn per inch
CUT TO
x1 @ 12” long
x3 @ 36” long

Regards
Steve

JAZZCNC
14-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Don't waste your time with Acme Lead screws because you can buy ballscrews from China for the same or even less money than you'll buy lead screw in this country.
Unless you buy very high quality Lead screw and Nuts then your wasting your money has the accuracy will be poor. Also cheap Acme screws are far less efficient than ball-screws giving less performance from the same motors. Quality Acme screw/nut will cost more than Chinese ball-scews and still probably not match them in efficiency.

EDIT: 12mm or 16mm dia 5mm pitch will be perfect for your needs. If plan cutting woods or plastics then go for 10mm pitch.

Contact Chai at linear-motion-bearings giving dimensions and asking for quote with end machining you require or to match the BF/BK bearing blocks if you plan on using these and think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the price.
Chai's Email [email protected]