PDA

View Full Version : non-locating / floating bearing - shaft location

dsc
24-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Gents,

can I push a floating bearing against a shoulder (or a circlip) on a shaft and secure the bearing with a circlip or do I need some sort of lock nut to make sure it stays put all the time? with a circlip I guess I'd have around 0.1-0.2mm of 'slack', but I reckon that shouldn't matter as the shaft is already located by the locating bearing (angular contact double row) right? I'm going for an interference fit on the inner ring and H6 / loose fit on the housing to allow for movement.

Appreciate any info, cheers.

Regards,
dsc.

Swarfing
25-06-2013, 07:43 PM
A circlip would be fine, it is to stop it wondering really. Mine just rests in place and never had an issue as the bearing is locked in place withinh it's housing.

dsc
25-06-2013, 10:02 PM
...as the bearing is locked in place withinh it's housing.

Hmmm, I thought the bearing should be allowed to move in the housing, but be an interference fit on the shaft (assuming the load sits on the shaft).

Regards,
dsc.

Swarfing
28-06-2013, 09:11 PM
On mine the outside of the bearing is fixed, the inside floats. no real right or wrong way. It just stops the screw from whipping about.

dsc
28-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Indeed if it's only used to stop the whipping, if it's supposed to carry any load, then it depends where the load is attached and that affects how the inside / outside rings should be fixed (and what fit should be used).

Regards,
dsc.

Swarfing
28-06-2013, 10:07 PM
The load is on the other end, the screw is turned down at the floating end with a gap between the thread of the screw and bearing. The commercial ones off ebay and the likes have a circlip holding the bearing onto the screw. In this situation the bearing should be a loose fit into it's mounting.