PDA

View Full Version : how am I going to pull this off?

kingcreaky
01-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Ive been asked to manufacture some oak frames.

I need to try and replicate the below 'hand carved' lettering with CNC

Ive used Vcarve, 'Single Line' fonts with a v-bit which is similar, but to achieve the full effect of the attached I think im going to need to think of something a bit more complicated.

any ideas?

for example, the 'O' in love. id need to go deeper on the verticals as shallower on the horizontal ( a bit like caligraphy).

any ideas, pointers etc would be greatly appreciated

Matt9172

John S
01-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Use true type fonts and node edit the shape.

for example on the O widen the verticals and narrow the ends. this will control depth.

kingcreaky
01-07-2013, 09:48 AM
thanks john..

Matt

Musht
01-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Would have thought V-Carve handles this itself?

Surely its choice of the choice of font which will dictate thickness, presume V-Carve can import TT fonts?

or use F-Engrave...

Cheers
Adam

jcb121
02-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Vcarve should be able to do this pretty easily. Just place a font and then convert it to poly line and there should be a engrave option. Can't think of what's it called though :/

John S
02-07-2013, 10:28 PM
It's all to do with the font selected, you need a true type because you need an inner and outer.

This is the capital letter O done in different fonts and cut wiyj a vee cutter with a 0.75mm flat on the end which works out correct for 10mm high letters.

Obviously some experimentation is needed.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/Vectric%20letters.jpg

Depending on how close the inner is to the outer determines the depth, 3rd. 4th and 5th from the left are equal depth as these fonts are offset the same all round.

1st font is narrower at the top than the sides and 2nd is the best example. 6th font is that close to the top compared to the sides it hasn't cut all the way round.

This was done on purpose so you can see what effect the flat on the bottom has.

If this had been reduced from 0.75 to say 0.5 then it would have looked like No 2 but No 2 would then look like No 1

One thing with V Carve is it's very WYSIWYG on the preview and it pays to play what if ?