PDA

View Full Version : Syil x4 or x5 as CAD/CAM training 4 axis CNC machine ???

towdi.arek
15-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Firstly I’d like to say hello to everybody as this is the first time I post on this forum.

I am considering a purchase of either Syil x4 or x5 CNC milling machine. I was wondering if anyone has one of these. Have you got any advice on which of them to buy?

Syil uk is currently selling the X4 for L5650 and x5 for L6850 with a 12 month warranty. This set includes 4-th axis and smooth stepper.

Buying used machine questionable, as if something will go wrong with it, I would have to ask an engineer to come and fix it. And that would cost a lot...

I do understand that Syil is made as a modular machine. The parts like motors, controllers, are easy to replace. The only problem could be with the main board, but again I was informed that Syil UK sells parts for these as well.

I would like to purchase this machine for a learning purpose (Cad Cam programming). I would like to use it to cut some aluminium, maybe steel as well. I saw on Youtube someone cutting titanium using HSM on Sieg X3 with conversion. I found in one of the posts that someone described x4 as much more rigid and beefy comparing to Sieg kx3 (I think it’s similar to x3) so I hope actually to do some real cutting :beguiled:

Tormach is beyond my financial abilities as full price would be over 22000 pounds as “Russ” calculated in post #16
http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/mills-routers-lathes-commercial-machines/5621-4-axis-cnc-milling-mc-where-2.html

Now few questions:
1.If anybody have Syil x4 or x5 please can you give me some info about reliability and rigid.
2. X4 and x5 are very similar. Differences are stronger x and y motors, x4- 2.4Nm x5- 3.5Nm. and x5 weight about 100 kg more ( bigger casting, more rigid I think...). Is it worth to pay an extra 1200 pounds for that?

If you have any suggestions please share.

Regards Arek

i2i
15-07-2013, 08:16 PM
Hi Arek, make sure you go and have a look at the machines before you buy.

JAZZCNC
15-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Contact John S he's the man to speak to about these small machines, he'll tell you all the in's-out's good and bad. He'll probably steer you to another make has well.!! . . . Sieg would be my guesstimate.?

towdi.arek
20-07-2013, 07:26 AM
I saw x4 and x5 yesterday. Decided to go with x5+.
First impression: good design, quality could be bit better in some points.
Overall I can give it strong 4 as firs impression rating.
As I couldn't find recent reviews about this machine I try make one when arrive.

Regards Arek