PDA

View Full Version : AM882 works with Protune - but not with the ZPA5-INT BOB

badgerman
26-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Hi All,

Title covers it all really, I have been testing my AM882 / ZPA5 setup and I have a peculiar problem that I have narrowed down but not resolved.

I can control the motor with the Pro tune software and the motor moves smoothly. However, once the settings have been written to the driver and I try to run them from the ZPA board the motor jumps, jerks and stutters. It moves, in the correct direction but just like there is interference messing up the signal.

So I have put some ferrite beads on the wires, tested it in the case and out of the case even tried another ZPA5 board from my other machine and it still behaves erratically when the BOB is in control.

I wanted to call Zapp today as I am sure I am doing something obviously wrong but its a poxy bank holiday. So as I am super impatient, I thought I would try here in the hope that someone recognises my problem.

Chris

Gary
26-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Email me how you have wired it up.
I should be able to get back to you today?

Are you powering the zp5A from an external 5V power supply or the USB?
If USB, my suggestion is dont.
ALso take a vid of you jogging an axis so i can see the problem.

badgerman
26-08-2013, 12:59 PM
legend - im on it.

badgerman
26-08-2013, 01:54 PM
ok, email on its way.

I think that anyone browsing this thread should be suitably impressed that you get a response on a bank holiday - a testament to your operation. It is greatly appreciated.

Chris

JAZZCNC
26-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Might sound bit obvious but you've not just tuned motor wrong in the control software are you.?

Like Gary says without seeing wiring or what exactly it's doing it's hard to say anymore.

badgerman
26-08-2013, 03:17 PM

Motor tuning is ok as I am moving the stepper perfectly with the Pro-tune software. It is only when the control board takes over does it go wrong.

badgerman
26-08-2013, 03:40 PM

It says in the manual that erratic movement can be caused by weak signal or interference. How can I check for this?

JAZZCNC
26-08-2013, 06:44 PM

It says in the manual that erratic movement can be caused by weak signal or interference. How can I check for this?

You'll need an oscilloscope to do it properly but chances are you have just got something wrong with wires or settings.
Your not trying to run this with a Laptop are you.?
Where did you get the PP cable.? . . It must be a straight thru cable not an old printer or serial cable.

Regards the motor tuning then that's nothing to do with Drive settings it's the control software sending out pulse's and if you motor tuning is set to high you could be getting stalling motors.?

This will most likely turn out to be something simple like dodgy wire or wrong settings. Would be very unlikely you'll have electrical noise issues. The drives clearly work fine has do motors so they are ok and wired correct.

It could be PC related like low voltage parallel port, unfortunately don't know anything about your BOB so unsure if it pulls signals high or not.?

Sorry can't be more help than this.!!

EDIT: Oh if your using Mach3 then try the PP driver test to check your PP port.
If still having trouble and can't see any thing else wrong with wires, drives etc then sometimes a reinstall can help. It's not unknown for Mach's XML file to get corrupted and cause daft issues like this.!!

badgerman
26-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Thanks Jazz - I will have a look.

badgerman
28-08-2013, 02:37 PM
SO I messaged Gary and we talked over the issues, I noted that there was a brake on the stepper with 24v supply that might cause issue - she he said get rid of it and try again.

Removed the brake, ran the standard ZPA profile for mach and the stepper motor jittered so violently that it nearly jumped off the desk!! Not the 24v supply I am guessing. . . . .

I'm totally confused now so heres the rundown of trials to date -

It has worked with the pro tune and with the direct parallel connection ( I wired up a parallel to stepper driver cable and it worked a treat) so there can't be any issue from the stepper-drivers to the steppers, or in fact the computer outputting signals.

It has not worked in and out of the case, I initially tried it out of the case and thought the problem was as a result of it not being grounded properly. It did exactly the same when I put it in the case - so it can't be something isolated to its assembly and orientation in the case.

. . . . . So, I am going to put the Zpa unit in my other machine to see if somehow I have lunched it. I bloody hope I haven't because it was doing the same thing with both the ZPA boards I have - so I would have knackered both!!

Whatever is going on is happening on the ZPA board. I will wire up the board to my other machine tonight (GEKKO 203V's - worked a treat with them) but if it doesn't work I am seriously considering getting another board to try. Annoying though - £20 for the ZPA is a good price for a punt, but any more serious board will require more dollar. ... . . . and it still might not work!!!

Anyone got any suggestions for a cheap driver board that will do the job?

Chris

badgerman
28-08-2013, 02:50 PM
I forgot to respond to you Jazz, apologies (rude when you are trying to help!)

Your not trying to run this with a Laptop are you.?

Nope.

Where did you get the PP cable.? . . It must be a straight thru cable not an old printer or serial cable.

The cable came from one of those chinese TB6500 boards that was included in a 3D printer I bough ages ago. I wonder if that one is a bit special??

Regards the motor tuning then that's nothing to do with Drive settings it's the control software sending out pulse's and if you motor tuning is set to high you could be getting stalling motors.?

The AM882 detects stalls - well it has when I have wound them up to fast in pro tune - red light comes on and it stops ( I might have been trying to see how fast they'd go. . . ). Anyway they are all happy in pro tune and when I connected my parallel port directly to the driver so its not that.

This will most likely turn out to be something simple like dodgy wire or wrong settings. Would be very unlikely you'll have electrical noise issues. The drives clearly work fine has do motors so they are ok and wired correct.

Yeah, I thought it might be noise, but it does the same in and out of the case and in different orientations too. so it isn't because it is in close proximity to power leads (I don't think)

It could be PC related like low voltage parallel port, unfortunately don't know anything about your BOB so unsure if it pulls signals high or not.?

I think the signals are ok as I did a direct connect.

Sorry can't be more help than this.!!

You have been great - I appreciate the input.

EDIT: Oh if your using Mach3 then try the PP driver test to check your PP port.
If still having trouble and can't see any thing else wrong with wires, drives etc then sometimes a reinstall can help. It's not unknown for Mach's XML file to get corrupted and cause daft issues like this.!!

Mach works on my other machine - which uses a ZPA board and GEKKO drives so I don't think its the install. I downloaded the ZPA5-INT xml file from the Zapp site and used that - as described above, the stepper nearly jumped off the table.

I do have one solution to this. . . . control box out the window. Done.

JAZZCNC
28-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Anyone got any suggestions for a cheap driver board that will do the job?

That's were your going wrong.?? Bob's are one of the most trouble some components in the control box and buying cheap boards just increases your chances of trouble 10 fold.!! . . . If you think about it they handle all the signals and no matter how clean the signal when it reaches the board if the BOB has cheap nasty components then it will get degraded to some degree. Now send it usable signal but on the weaker side and cheap board can easily scramble it's brains out.!!

The only board I can recommend which you can buy in UK is this one. I've used many without problems, infact I'm installing one at this moment along with AM882 drives.
OPPB (http://www.diycnc.co.uk/html/oppb.html)

badgerman
28-08-2013, 03:25 PM
The only board I can recommend which you can buy in UK is this one. I've used many without problems, infact I'm installing one at this moment along with AM882 drives.

Right, sounds like a plan. I was considering a better board as I have a VFD inverter and spindles I want to get running - I don't see any mention of spindle control on this board - is that the case?

JAZZCNC
28-08-2013, 03:51 PM
- I don't see any mention of spindle control on this board - is that the case?

No it's a separate board if you want to control spindle speed.

You can use BOB's On board relays to control VFD start/stop signals. To be honest I don't often bother with spindle speed control and just control Start/stop.
I also use the relay built into VFD to control water pump so it's only running when spindle spinning.!

badgerman
28-08-2013, 04:13 PM
No it's a separate board if you want to control spindle speed.

You can use BOB's On board relays to control VFD start/stop signals. To be honest I don't often bother with spindle speed control and just control Start/stop.
I also use the relay built into VFD to control water pump so it's only running when spindle spinning.!

Cool - I am not to sure I will need spindle control any time soon. I have 2 really nice spindles, one with a vortex tube on it pumping cool air down the centre of the cutter that I want to get running. The machine it came with had a KEB inverter that I need to start understanding :ambivalence:. Spindle control won't be relevant until I have that sorted!!!

badgerman
28-08-2013, 07:30 PM
FYI, just tried the board on my Gekko setup and it works fine.

I have spotted something that might make a difference though - so I will try it out and update accordingly. . . . .

badgerman
28-08-2013, 09:10 PM
bugger. it didn't work. Sod it, I'm going to buy another board.

badgerman
29-08-2013, 01:22 PM

Just bought one of these bad boys.

Fingers crossed.

badgerman
01-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Boom. Ordered a board from DiyCNC - out of stock. In comes Mr. Jazz to the rescue, sends me his spare (or next builds board). Realised it was out of stock thursday, Mr Jazz sends Friday, received on saturday and 90% wired on Sunday.

Board works a treat - I still don't know what was wrong with the ZP5A as it is working fine on my other machine (Gekko 203V) but this has dealt with the problem.

Thanks to all that waded in to help - particularly JAZZCNC you bloody legend.

JAZZCNC
01-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Your Welcome, Cheap BOB's are just not worth the stress and hair loss. . Lol . . . Pleased your sorted and working.

PS: Money received thanks.!!