PDA

View Full Version : Advice on spindle inverter spec

badgerman
14-09-2013, 10:30 PM
Hi all,

I could do with some advice on the next phase in my quest to reinstate the ISEL CNC machines - the spindles. Without going into all the details - I bought a job lot of equipment, some of it works, some have needed work and all of it has needed a lot of research. So, the problem. . . . . .

Attached are two plaques which can be found on the two spindles in question. Here is a picture of one so that you don't have to imagine.

This one:
4200 rpm
75hz
0.65kw

This one :
24000 rpm
300hz
0.55 kw

The latter spindle works great with this KEB F5 1.5kw inverter - so I can only assume that it was the intended inverter for the spindle and was separated at some point.

So, the first one needs an inverter. Based on the information above and in each image, can you advise on an appropriate inverter for the job? Is it as simple as getting a 1.5kw inverter from ebay (based on the motor's KW rating being slightly more than the other motor) or have a grossly underestimated the situation!!

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

JAZZCNC
14-09-2013, 10:50 PM
Does the Keb inverter let you set profiles for different motors.? Often decent VFD's do.! . . . . If so Why not use the same inverter for both and just switch between the two. (When switched off)

badgerman
14-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Rather annoyingly, the unit has been customised by ISEL and therefore the menu structure is not is non-standard and differs from the manual. KEB have no record of how it has been customised and ISEL germany are pretty useless in responding to any email that does not end up with them making some money.

I am considering buying another (£441) from KEB - but I am tight and would like a cheaper alternative!\

EDIT: I don't think it has profiles either so switching between machines could be a mission.

JAZZCNC
15-09-2013, 12:12 AM
I am considering buying another (£441) from KEB - but I am tight and would like a cheaper alternative!\

Nah don't do that you'll get a small inverter that will do what you want for £100-150 easy.

John S
15-09-2013, 12:25 AM
Let me have a look thru what I have, feel sure I have some that will do this OK.

birchy
15-09-2013, 02:58 AM
The inverter should be capable of running any 3-phase motor. I don't really understand what ISEL could have done to the inverter other than use standard parameter settings? Are you sure you have the correct user manual? You should be able to "reset to factory defaults" and start again.

quickcut
15-09-2013, 04:15 AM
I once bought a panel with KEB drives. The local agent said he could download the parameters if I took the drive to him. Unfortunately they had a 3 phase input so I could not use them at home. Any drive of the rated capacity should work. Just check if the motor has a star/delta connection for 220v 3phase input depending on your supply. The v series from Yaskawa are very good and they used to have a plant in Scotland.

badgerman
15-09-2013, 09:35 AM
I don't really understand what ISEL could have done to the inverter other than use standard parameter settings?

It's not that the inverter is modified and can't be used, it is the menus that have been modified. I can't decipher what values do what and therefore can't modify to suit other spindles.

For example, I have found the frequency max (I think) but can't be sure which is frequency min. There are also brake settings (deceleration) but no idea which it might be.

I have spoken to KEB who told me that it was custom, and ISEL haven't responded to my enquiry. Annoying - but at least it is running one of my motors.

badgerman
15-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Let me have a look thru what I have, feel sure I have some that will do this OK.

Great - much appreciated.

badgerman
15-09-2013, 09:41 AM
The local agent said he could download the parameters if I took the drive to him.

Good thinking. I might get back in touch with the KEB rep and see if he can reverse engineer the menus settings. I know you can connect it to a pc so I might try that too.

JAZZCNC
15-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Good thinking. I might get back in touch with the KEB rep and see if he can reverse engineer the menus settings. I know you can connect it to a pc so I might try that too.

Careful here you can easily wipe the settings back to default or if doing a firmware update screw things up. Before messing Make sure you Wright down all the relevant settings.!!

badgerman
15-09-2013, 12:24 PM
Careful here you can easily wipe the settings back to default or if doing a firmware update screw things up. Before messing Make sure you Wright down all the relevant settings.!!

Already done, I created a document to explain the differences and communicate the values in my inverter to the KEN rep.

EddyCurrent
15-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Just get an inverter based on motor current and voltage and the input voltage you require e.g. 240v single phase. I have found these people very good
AC Inverter Drives (230V) (Page 1 of 43) (http://www.inverterdrive.com/group/AC-Inverter-Drives-230V/)

The motors shown are slightly odd in that they are 200v and 185v when connected in 'star' as shown on the rating plate, normally a motor would be 230v when connected in 'delta' and 415v in 'star'.
Obviously these are bespoke motors.