PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle frame jigs

compositepro
18-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Hers something we have been CNC machining lately its a jig for building bicycles on:

dazza
18-09-2013, 08:36 PM
very nice compo,is it a customer job or do you build the frames also?

compositepro
18-09-2013, 09:17 PM
very nice compo,is it a customer job or do you build the frames also?

We build bicycles too, its nice made the switch from industry to doing this

JAZZCNC
18-09-2013, 10:40 PM
Huh that fixture table looks expensiveeeee and I bet those Jigs weren't done on a Diy build. . Lol

What coating did you put on those nice shiny tooling plate jigs.?

jcb121
18-09-2013, 11:33 PM
any chance of a photo of a bike in a jig?

;)

compositepro
19-09-2013, 09:39 AM
any chance of a photo of a bike in a jig?

;)

At this time , being honest and because i have been told to keep it on the downlow unfortunately not the jigs are made for the bike manufacturer im working for ,no leaks, but i will post some for you when i get given the secrets out

compositepro
19-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Huh that fixture table looks expensiveeeee and I bet those Jigs weren't done on a Diy build. . Lol

What coating did you put on those nice shiny tooling plate jigs.?

Hey Jazz its an optical alignment table your quite correct , they were done on a hurco

I am designing some cnc controlled fixtures and machinery though for the shop but without an industrial cnc its kind of hard to make them

Its simply hard ano with a coating called marbocoat applied after to stop epoxy and the like adhering

Jonathan
19-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Do you mind revealing what cutters you used to get the seemingly good finish?

compositepro
19-09-2013, 11:13 AM

Jonothan

i use the aluminium specific WNT milling cutters any aluminium specific cutter will give you a pretty nice ,they eat material though you have to be careful at your ramp in when side milling as they like to take a big bite they supply the place i used to work AMRC | The University of Sheffield Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre with Boeing (http://www.amrc.co.uk/) the fancy finish on the tooling plate is just standard mic 6 the actual face mill they use is a PCD insert on a 1.6m dia face mill ,

mekanik
19-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Is the jig for assembly/bonding carbon fiber components, will the bikes be made in the UK.
Mike

compositepro
19-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Is the jig for assembly/bonding carbon fiber components, will the bikes be made in the UK.
Mike

Yes it can do that and yup made in the UK

JAZZCNC
19-09-2013, 07:48 PM

Jon that finish is easy to get.? . . . . All you need is £80,000 and flood cooling that blows lady's knickers off. . Lol

compositepro
19-09-2013, 07:58 PM
Jon that finish is easy to get.? . . . . All you need is £80,000 and flood cooling that blows lady's knickers off. . Lol

that will be flood coolant at £1200 quid a barrel thank you... but your right half the time ruining finishes on allly is when the chip cets recut or swarf gets pulled in from another area

Jonathan
19-09-2013, 08:25 PM
i use the aluminium specific WNT milling cutters any aluminium specific cutter will give you a pretty nice ,they eat material

Thanks for the info - I was just interested to see if you'd done it with a cheap tool, or HSS not carbide.

Jon that finish is easy to get.?

I know, I've got finishes like that consistently when I've used good new tools and flood coolant, but an expensive strong machine certainly helps.

r0bsk1
19-09-2013, 08:47 PM
Mmmmmm marbocoat! cant beat the stink of a decent semi mould release. And quite scary to use when you're used to wax/pva.

TheChunk
18-01-2014, 07:17 PM
I guess the cat's out of the bag? We have a few Hurcos in work including a VMX with trunnion table for 5 axis work, nice machines.

Singletrack Magazine | Straight out of South Yorkshire - Announcing Bicycle Manufacturing Limited (http://singletrackworld.com/2014/01/straight-out-of-south-yorkshire-announcing-bicycle-manufacturing-limited/)

irving2008
19-01-2014, 10:16 AM
Great to see inventive British manufacturing back on the scene. And in Penistone, one of the best places to cycle as well, used to do a lot there pre-accident.