PDA

View Full Version : Motors on stilts

birchy
21-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Just wondering...why does everyone seem to mount their motors on stilts or peg legs? It seems like the worst possible way as it's both weak and (in my opinion) unsightly. Is there some advantage that I'm not aware of?

Example (no offence meant Jonathon!):

JAZZCNC
21-09-2013, 06:29 PM
Just wondering...why does everyone seem to mount their motors on stilts or peg legs? It seems like the worst possible way as it's both weak and (in my opinion) unsightly. Is there some advantage that I'm not aware of?

Example (no offence meant Jonathon!):

Agreed and not everybody does, I don't.!! . . Here's some of mine. Reason they do it is because it's easy and cheap.

Edit: Ah ah just realised motors on wrong side in this picture.!!

birchy
21-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Yeah, "everyone" was a bit too general, but I see a lot of motors mounted on pegs. Yours look a bit posh Jazz! Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of a spare milling machine, so have made mine from 6mm mild steel plates...using a hacksaw, a file, a cordless drill, and a lot of elbow grease and patience.

John S
21-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Because they have all been hit by a fooking pendulum when they were babies and crawling.
Leaves a lasting impression, in golden bollocks case you can still see the dent in the side of his noggin.

This is one of mine.

That alloy block contains two angular contact bearing and an Oldham coupling all in one neat package and a swap of the mounting plate means it will fit many different applications.

Jonathan
21-09-2013, 06:50 PM
It seems like the worst possible way as it's both weak and (in my opinion) unsightly.

I agree, it's a terrible idea! The photo you found is the motor mount I made when I first got the milling machine 4 years ago. At the time funds were very limited and I didn't know any better. As I mentioned in the build log it's soon to be replaced.

My motor mounts have become have become a bit more 'serious business' lately:

That's 5 pieces of 20mm aluminium thick if you include the covers...

Here's a more average one I made a couple of years ago:

Here's one I made yesterday:

Oh and whilst we're on the topic, here's another one which incorporates a cover for the belt:

Maybe that'll give you some ideas...

John S
21-09-2013, 06:55 PM
You ever thought about taking up plumbing ?

birchy
21-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Thank fk I'm not the only one that hates those peg leg things. I see so many of them that I thought I'd overlooked something vital.

That's a nice setup John S...care to share any more info or is it a trade secret?

Jonathan
21-09-2013, 06:58 PM
The other bad thing about motors on stilts is they don't conduct much heat out of the motor.

You ever thought about taking up plumbing ?

Are you addressing me? If so then you've lost me there...why do you ask?

P.S. Surprised you didn't say this time that it looks like a grandfather clock.

John S
21-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Birchy,
No not a trade secret, just good engineering, I'll see if i can find some exploded pics.

P.S. Surprised you didn't say this time that it looks like a grandfather clock.

Hint, pendulum in post #4