PDA

View Full Version : Is Somebody messing with Forum layout? . . Lost Latest post's.!!!

JAZZCNC
13-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Has title says is the forum being messed with because the latest posts at top isn't showing anymore.

If so Is it temporary or how it's going to be from now on.? . . . Don't like it at ALL put it back please and make it show more on list not less.

Lee Roberts
13-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Hi,

In answer to your question, yes the TopStats module has now been removed from the forum home page for good.

If you would like to send us feedback, would like to ask a question or have a problem with using the site/forum, please use the Contact Us (http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/sendmessage.php) form provided at the bottom of everypage or by clicking here (http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/sendmessage.php). This will ensure a speedy response from us and allow us to provide you with a better service.

Thanks,
Lee

asbo
13-10-2013, 08:28 PM
In answer to your question, yes the TopStats module has now been removed from the forum home page for good.
That's a shame, I found it really handy :(

jcb121
13-10-2013, 09:03 PM
I don't normally winge about this stuff as I use tapatalk a lot but the latest post module was the only thing i used on this site.

i can't be bothered to look through pages and pages, I just like to be up to date with what's going on and you've ruined the site for me in that respect.

John S
13-10-2013, 09:13 PM
I'll give you 11 out of 10 for really pissing people off when you update the forum Lee.

You ought to run for parliament, say you are listening but do what you want.

CraftyGeek
13-10-2013, 09:17 PM
If that has been removed from the home page, can the active thread module top right be modified to have a link to the latest posts in the relevant thread rather than just the first post of the thread? - that would go some way to help fill the gap in functionality.

Jonathan
13-10-2013, 10:01 PM
I tend to agree...

JAZZCNC
13-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Don't believe what I'm seeing Lee you have just ruined the site and made it much harder to use for almost everyone.

If you look or ask folks you'll see the most used feature of the site was this and those that needed help got a quick reply or response because of it. I've noticed over the last few months that the site has attracted many new users and many from overseas all commenting on how friendly and helpful this site is compared to others. I believe this is mostly down to this feature and the fact it allows main contributors like Jonathan and Me to quickly reply to those that need help.

I'm asking you put it back ASAP other wise folks will vote with there feet. Or should say There will be a lot of people who miss out with help and advise because I for one haven't got time to trawl the forum seeking them out.

If you would like to send us feedback, would like to ask a question or have a problem with using the site/forum, please use the Contact Us (http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/sendmessage.php) form provided at the bottom of everypage

Oh and I'll never use this "Sweep it under carpet" feature.!! If I've got an issue with site I'd like it in the open so others can agree or disagree. . . . . SO LADS WHO AGREES WITH ME ON THIS ONE.!! . . . . PUT IT BACK ASAP.!!

IanS1
13-10-2013, 11:32 PM
Don't believe what I'm seeing Lee you have just ruined the site and made it much harder to use for almost everyone.

. . . . . SO LADS WHO AGREES WITH ME ON THIS ONE.!! . . . . PUT IT BACK ASAP.!!

Agree, it was handy to quickly see new posts. Is the active threads on the right hand side the same thing?

**EDIT** Ah, a new recent posts has just appeared on the right hand side.

**EDIT** Disappeared again!!

John S
13-10-2013, 11:46 PM
Yes Jazz it's crap, no worse than crap.

Musht
13-10-2013, 11:46 PM
the new, new posts thing generates a search which will load the server and slow the site down at a guess.

Current layout at 23.46 is ,er , user hostile...

JAZZCNC
14-10-2013, 12:14 AM
Hopefully good sense will prevail and will be back to normal tomorrow because it's Proper Fucked up has it stands now.!!

John S
14-10-2013, 12:44 AM
Hopefully good sense will prevail and will be back to normal tomorrow because it's Proper Fucked up has it stands now.!!

Doubt it.
Never listened to public opinion before.

AndyGuid
14-10-2013, 02:55 AM
As a newbie this backward step has certainly bamboozled me!

Why take away functionality that worked so well?

njhussey
14-10-2013, 08:26 AM
Just come on to see what's going on here and the latest post bit's gone at the top of the page??? That was what I used to see what was happening at a glance. I certainly won't go trawling through all the forum to see what's new, I simply don't have the time (or the inclination) to do that. Please put it back Lee, it's a step in the wrong direction as far as I can see. Out of interest what was the thinking behind it, how are we to see what the latest posts are without scrolling down through the various sections?

kingcreaky
14-10-2013, 08:27 AM
I normally steer well clear of these threads, but honestly the latest posts part of the site is its heart. Everyone will agree its their favourite feature,

Personally its the only thing I use on site... (not to digress, but It used to be even better and has already been reduced down once...)

Anyway, Id really appreciate it if you could put it back to the way it was last week....

thankyou please

ps ... you may also want tot turn down the error reporting on the live environment as its spamming out warnings as the moment

John S
14-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Plus when you manage to find the thread to takes you to post #1 every time, not the last unread post.

So far not one vote for the new / crap look.

If you want to make improvements Lee then lets have embedded pictures.
The post above this has a pic, dump.png but you have to click it and when you return via the back button you are back on post # 1 again.

Started to read that built in a month thread yesterday but gave up as there were so many pictures it got painful after the first few scrolling and clicking.

John S
14-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Added
I have show signature ticked - no signature ?

firetrappe
14-10-2013, 11:43 AM
Glad it's not just me. I thought i'd changed something in my profile settings by accident which had changed the layout!

I've gotta agree with others that removing the most useful part of the main forum page (IMHO) is a bit weird. I guess there must be some logic behind it, but can't for the life of me work out what it is ???

Si.

IanS1
14-10-2013, 11:55 AM
The post above this has a pic, dump.png but you have to click it and when you return via the back button you are back on post # 1 again.

Started to read that built in a month thread yesterday but gave up as there were so many pictures it got painful after the first few scrolling and clicking.

John, you can click the Close button, bottom right of the pop-up image and it should take you back to the thread position you started from or use the escape key on your keyboard for the same effect.

mekanik
14-10-2013, 12:39 PM
That works for me, the only thing i find annoying is getting to the last post, i use the column on the right and click on anything of interest, but then have to scroll down to the bottom of the page to go to last comment this gets a bit tiresome, as a rule if i get an e-mail regarding a thread the link takes me to the last post.

Jonathan
14-10-2013, 01:17 PM
That works for me, the only thing i find annoying is getting to the last post, i use the column on the right and click on anything of interest, but then have to scroll down to the bottom of the page to go to last comment this gets a bit tiresome, as a rule if i get an e-mail regarding a thread the link takes me to the last post.

There's a setting in your profile to make the post order the other way round, so most recent posts are at the top of the page. That's what I use, so when I click on any of the threads it seems to take me to the most recent post...

If you want to make improvements Lee then lets have embedded pictures.

For you, do images not display in the thread like this:

John S
14-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Right, will try that still be nice to see the pics instead of a blue link which is often missed like here

Now see we do have some semblance of the latest posts shoehorned in between the RH menu bar and the forums.

WTF is wrong is saying sorry fücked up, I'll put it back instead of making porridge for one ? No just have to change everything to prove a point.

Lee, did you program the Yahoo Neo pages ? that's another fück up and they aren't going back either.
fact is they are loosing advertising by the gallon but hey we are right.

Just went back to see how this looked and there is a thread two days old above my thread at a minute old.
Aren't we on the Gregorian calendar not the Roman one ?

mekanik
14-10-2013, 01:42 PM
For you, do images not display in the thread like this:
10430[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that Jonathan.
Yes the images display OK i can open with no problem & closing the image returns me to the thread
Mike

JAZZCNC
14-10-2013, 08:52 PM
Don't really want to digress from this IMPORTANT thread but noticed threads are going missing has well.?? . . . . Surprisingly it's one from a machine manufacturer who's machine took some negative feedback and hard time from both Jonathan and Me.

WTF point of the forum if we can't give our opinions without them getting deleted if the party who offered it up for PUBLIC comment and critique doesn't like what we say.
WTF point of Jon and Me sharing our knowledge and experience for the benefit of Forum members if it gets deleted because it makes someone uncomfortable.

If a machine can't stand upto close scrutiny then it should be exposed or highlighted for the sake of others. Wise business men would take Negative feedback and turn it positive not whine about it.!!

Hell this very close scrutiny and informing others stopped one Shister from ripping more people off and producing unsafe machines. The people who came out the closet and spoke up to me privately out of embarrassment about being ripped off and in some cases plane duped out of money never to see a machine was unbelievable and this was directly because of that thread..!! . . It's not fair to Forum members or morally correct to delete inoffensive threads just because we haven't blown smoke up the manufactures arse.!

Now I'm not saying the company or person in the deleted thread is in anyway ripping people off because they are not and neither am I saying machine is unsafe because it's not. . . I'm just Pissed off with Sensorship to keep the few or the ONE happy at the expense of the many.

LEE grow some Bollocks and stop pampering to advertisers or potential advertisers. In the long run the forum will become better because of it's experienced members standing no rubbish and giving sound informative advise and the Forum members will respect the forum more for it and frequent more often, This alone will bring in new advertisers.
Tell the whining manufactures to go get stuffed or better still put there house in order.!! . . . . Just like you should put yours back in Order before those that make the forum so popular tell it to go get stuffed.!!!

Rant over Lads so get back on with BEGGING and PLEADING for OUR FORUM to be like WE THE ONES WHO TAKE TIME TO VISIT would like it to be.!! . .:sorrow:

routercnc
14-10-2013, 09:31 PM
Hi Jazz,

Could the 'missing thread' be due to your settings (settings > general) ? There is a "Default Thread Age Cut Off" option which on mine is set to "site default". Not clear how long this is, but there are other age limit options past which threads are not shown.

On the forum layout discussion I was also disappointed to see the lastest post list had been removed . . .

EddyCurrent
14-10-2013, 10:01 PM
This is not directly related to this thread but I am surprised at the small number of people who actually respond to any threads on this forum (ps I've just supped a 6 pack of guinness so go easy)
and then there's loads of threads where the OP just disappears.10439

JAZZCNC
14-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Hi Jazz,

Could the 'missing thread' be due to your settings (settings > general) ? There is a "Default Thread Age Cut Off" option which on mine is set to "site default". Not clear how long this is, but there are other age limit options past which threads are not shown.

Nope it's been deleted that's for sure.!!

JAZZCNC
14-10-2013, 10:22 PM
This is not directly related to this thread but I am surprised at the small number of people who actually respond to any threads on this forum (ps I've just supped a 6 pack of guinness so go easy)

Erm Guinness that's sounds like a plan but I've only 2 cans left.!!

Yes your correct and exactly why it's important this feature gets put back because those like me who do respond encourage others to do so.
The side bar active threads doesn't show enough threads so when they get knocked off the list they are doomed and won't get any reply quickly when it''s needed or even at all because I'm not prepared to trawl thru threads and I'm sure lots of others won't either.
Same goes for those posting a build thread seeking advise or critique to help develop or improve there design, they will hardly see anyone after it drops off the very short list.!! . . . This layout suits and benefits nobody, except Lee for some reason.?

EddyCurrent
14-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Yes you are correct, after the thread drops off the bottom it's gone but what is the answer ?
I put my electrical drawings on my build log for review but got not one response ? it's not sour grapes because I don't care, I'm confident that my finished drawing will be correct, I just thought it might benefit others without an electrical background such as myself.

JAZZCNC
14-10-2013, 11:55 PM
Yes you are correct, after the thread drops off the bottom it's gone but what is the answer ?

Agreed there is no best answer but if it's there longer because there's many more entries then much more chance of it been seen.
After that then it's on it's own and fair game folks will have to seek it out. But it will have had a fair chance to be seen and in the case of folks wanting help or advise they need it to be seen and prominent for fair period of time. . . .10 entries is just not enough when it gets busy.

It doesn't affect those trawling for ideas and fair enough let them scroll down and browse the options. . . . But personally I'd like to see much larger Activity section at top for fast access to currant happenings and enable those that need advise or help to get it quickly.

I think most would agree with me on this one it works well and the worst thing Lee did before was reduce it and now he's killed it completely it's spoilt the forum feel.!

D-man
15-10-2013, 08:03 AM
As mentioned above, I also use tapatalk a lot. I'm an impatient bugger at best an when searching for answers I get bored and just google things.

I agree with JAZZ people including myself mainly only use that feature, surly with this feature it helps eliminate duplicate posts also...

Don't get me wrong lee I appreciate everything you have done here at MYCNCUK but isn't this a people forum... Therefore it should be put to a vote any changes made IMO.

John S
15-10-2013, 09:33 AM
Thanks Lee

njhussey
15-10-2013, 09:37 AM
Thanks Lee...

njhussey
15-10-2013, 04:29 PM
It's gone again??????

JAZZCNC
15-10-2013, 04:45 PM
It's gone again??????

What have I missed.!! . .What have I missed.???? . . . Was it the phantom latest threads.?

njhussey
15-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Yep....came and then bu**ered off again without so much as a "by your leave".....

Web Goblin
15-10-2013, 05:53 PM
Been away for the weekend but had a quick look in on my phone. Total pain to try to find anything. This is making the site worse off.

HankMcSpank
15-10-2013, 06:55 PM
When I worked in IT, there was a vast amount of time paid to Change Control (plan it out, consult with the stakeholders, deploy, keep them informed of any related problems etc) ....alas, certainly not the same model here!

IMHO, The top stats window at the top of the forum should never have been removed without at least consulting (asking!) the forum users of their view, but even so, once it was removed, there should at least be updates as to what the latest status is! (at the moment it's a 'Hokey Cokey' feature ....in/out/in/out shake it all about)

John S
15-10-2013, 07:23 PM
Well we have had about 4 iterations today, even got the old page back at one point.
I'm currently seeing the latest post as being by Lee in June but no word from the powers that be ?

Not much else going on whist this cock is happening

m_c
15-10-2013, 11:35 PM
Why comment when you can sit and bury your head in the sand about any problems?

I'm guessing Lee has the inabilty to setup a development site to test the latest **** ups...

~andy
16-10-2013, 01:01 AM
The forum has the latest version of vBulletin. You should be grateful it's being kept secure.

Hopefully you will get a full refund of your monthly fee refunded for the problems. :barbershop_quartet_

JAZZCNC
16-10-2013, 08:02 AM
The forum has the latest version of vBulletin. You should be grateful it's being kept secure.

Hopefully you will get a full refund of your monthly fee refunded for the problems. :barbershop_quartet_

Ah but remember just like in business without custom there is NO business, just has it would be commercial suicide to alienate customers and upset your workforce that works for FREE.:barbershop_quartet_

Clive S
16-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Ah but remember just like in business without custom there is NO business, just has it would be commercial suicide to alienate customers and upset your workforce that works for FREE.:barbershop_quartet_

How very true:mushroom: . .Clive

kingcreaky
16-10-2013, 11:24 AM
knocked up a quick api call to vbulletin on my server to show latest threads if anybody is interested

http://www.pensys.co.uk/mycncuk.php

alternatively this link may be useful

http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew"

hopefully lee wont mind...

EDIT: just noticed 'Latest Posts' on right hand side :D nevermind

EddyCurrent
16-10-2013, 01:40 PM
alternatively this link may be useful

http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew"

hopefully lee wont mind...

Or instead of the "do=getnew" statement you could also use these, probably there are many others too.

do=topposters
do=getdaily

JAZZCNC
17-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Thank you Lee that's much preferred, would have liked more entries but not complaining also like the little Blue box to show new posts. It was Probably there before but didn't notice it. . .Lol

Edit: On a side note Why have the Active threads and others on the side has well.? I for one wouldn't complain if they where removed and replaced with advertisements. Realise you need revenue and this would give more space for adverts but still not take away from user experience. Personally I Would much prefer more active thread space and adverts for what's there now.!

John S
17-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Might have been much preferred but it's changed YET again.
Now got active thread full on at the top and repeated at the side.

Is anyone at the helm ?

Why don't you ask what people want Lee ?

TonyD
20-10-2013, 01:31 PM
By way of encouragement, the Active Thread section on top is useful and helps. Thanks.

birchy
20-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Must admit I've not really noticed a problem, HOWEVER...my bookmark to this website is www.mycncuk.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew, so I always get the latest posts as the first page...