PDA

View Full Version : Drilling operations on a 3 Axis Router

Washout
05-11-2013, 05:13 PM
Hi All,

A bit of advise if possible:

I'm using Vectric Cut2D to do various 2D operations on a sub frame mounting block before going to 3D operations to do the "adding lightness" cuts. The part is 38mm thick and will be using 6082 T651 Aluminium and whilst I have used end mills to spiral into material before and straight peck drilling, I'm wonder if this is the best way as it can beat the machine up a little.

Also Vectric has twist drills in its tool database and wonder how I should using these on my machine considering my pillar drill speeds placard suggests way lower speeds than the 2.2Kw spindle normally runs at (or is even capable of).

Suggestions and advise welcome before I run a HSS twist drill at what I think is going to be way to fast (vectric's default speed for a 6mm bit is 12,000rpm :dread: ) and end up with half of it stuck in the aluminium :tongue:

Cheers

Chris

JAZZCNC
05-11-2013, 10:07 PM
Drilling is the weak area of these spindles and I never really drill with diameter above 6mm. Fro holes greater than this I either pilot and finish on pillar drill (quickest) or I mill them if in no rush and feeling lazy.

When drilling I Always peck drill with 3-5mm pecks and around 600-800mm/min. It can be done quicker but I don't like stressing the machine and no way could I do it quicker or more accurate manually. You'll want to be standing by with cutting fluid or WD40 type lube if you don't have coolant. If you have blown air it also helps to clear spirals from flutes.

navins
12-03-2014, 06:37 AM
Basically I don't have much idea about drills. But If you are trying something then I appreciate you desire about work.
have a nice day.