PDA

View Full Version : Who has used AliExpress ?

Want2build1
12-11-2013, 09:29 AM
I ordered a spindle last night.

I've been asked
"
We need your confirmation for the customs clearance to ship the products as soon as possible:
1.We'll write the item name as Spindle Motor.
2.We'll declare the real value of 345.79USD according to the rules on aliexpress.Is it easy to customs clearance in this situation?
3.Is there any special requirement for the customs clearance?
4.Please kindly noted that we'll determine the final shipping company according to our local customs and shipping courier's policy.
"

What's the best answer to number 3 ?

Clive S
12-11-2013, 10:45 AM
I ordered a spindle last night.

I've been asked
"
We need your confirmation for the customs clearance to ship the products as soon as possible:
1.We'll write the item name as Spindle Motor.
2.We'll declare the real value of 345.79USD according to the rules on aliexpress.Is it easy to customs clearance in this situation?
3.Is there any special requirement for the customs clearance?
4.Please kindly noted that we'll determine the final shipping company according to our local customs and shipping courier's policy.
"

What's the best answer to number 3 ?

Unless you know any different I would answer NO ..Clive

Want2build1
12-11-2013, 10:53 AM
sent a few messages, it seems they just want to make sure I am aware that there 'could' be customs fees at my end.

m_c
12-11-2013, 11:44 AM
There's no 'could' about it, there 'will' be!

Want2build1
12-11-2013, 11:54 AM
well ... let's hope they're not too much !
It's a learning thing for me this time ... I hope to order more soon.
I had a look on the customs web site, and it's not clear... it say's you can have so much 'duty free' which was £270 threshold or something, but I couldn't find any info on 'spare parts' ?

The spindle was approx £220 inc shipping. anyone know roughly how much I'll have to pay, and how the payment process works ?

My best guess is about £30 to £70 if I have to pay VAT too

m_c
12-11-2013, 12:02 PM
It's well above the no duty threshold.

I usually allow 25% plus £10 for the handling fee.
Import duty on most things is usually 1-3%, then the courier's handling fee can be anything from about £6 to £20, then you have to pay VAT on top of everything.
The handling fee, and how and when the duty gets paid depends entirely on who the courier is in the UK.
Royal Mail/Parcelforce require the duty to be paid before they'll deliver, whereas others may deliver then you get a letter a few days/weeks later for the duty.

Want2build1
12-11-2013, 12:07 PM
any idea who would be the cheapest, as they gave me a choice ... all the big boys
dhl TNT etc. and EMS ?

Is there a thread on here about importing ? maybe there should be ?

m_c
12-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Have a search as it's been discussed before.

Unless things have changed, EMS will end up with RoyalMail or ParcelForce depending on size/value. DHL may also end up with ParcelForce.
I've had stuff come via TNT and Fedex recently, but I'd have to dig out their invoices to tell you what their handling fees are.

Just found a Fedex invoice, and their fee was £10.50 which was VAT exempt (thee fee that is, not the rest of bill!)

Want2build1
12-11-2013, 12:20 PM
thanks for the reply :)

i'll just have to wait and see i suppose !

njhussey
12-11-2013, 03:18 PM
FedEx's "Advancement fee" is £10.50. The VAT is charged at the standard 20%, well it was on the 2 FedEx invoices I've not long paid!

Want2build1
14-11-2013, 03:56 PM
does anyone know if it's best to order

lots at once ? big fees

or lots of little orders ? bigger post fees ?

???

Jonathan
15-11-2013, 01:22 AM
does anyone know if it's best to order

lots at once ? big fees

or lots of little orders ? bigger post fees ?

???

Since you have to assume that the sellers specify the correct value on the customs form, and asking otherwise would be illegal, then unless you can split the order into parts less than the £18 threshold to get charged VAT by HMRC, it's better to order once else you'll pay multiple £10.50 handling charges. Splitting seems unlikely to result in packages worth less than £18 if you're ordering ballscrews, linear bearings and the like.

Want2build1
18-11-2013, 12:54 PM
Thanks Johnathan
I didn't know the threshold was only £18

m_c
18-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Just remembered I came across a box with a Parcel Force customs sticker, and they charged £13.50

Jonathan
18-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Thanks Johnathan
I didn't know the threshold was only £18

Just checked and they've changed it again - it's now only £15:

HM Revenue & Customs (http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document#P34_3115)

Just remembered I came across a box with a Parcel Force customs sticker, and they charged £13.50

Those handling fees are annoying. I had one recently from fedex where the VAT was about £3, with £10.50 'advancement fee' added.

Want2build1
21-11-2013, 02:13 PM
well it arrived today... which I am impressed with :) ...

no customs invoice or anything as yet ?
might it turn up in the post ?

Want2build1
21-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Since you have to assume that the sellers specify the correct value on the customs form, and asking otherwise would be illegal, then unless you can split the order into parts less than the £18 threshold to get charged VAT by HMRC, it's better to order once else you'll pay multiple £10.50 handling charges. Splitting seems unlikely to result in packages worth less than £18 if you're ordering ballscrews, linear bearings and the like.

...wondering ... my total was made up of , half price, and half post ... could I legally ask then just to put the 'item cost' price on the label ?

I guess they do it to 'cheat' anyway ...

njhussey
21-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Legally.....no you have to ask them to declare the full purchase value....however some sellers put small values on so you don't get hit with much. I think my 1300mm 1610 ball screw assemblies were declared at £12 ish each.......

m_c
21-11-2013, 11:55 PM
no customs invoice or anything as yet ?
might it turn up in the post ?
It'll drop through the letter box soon...

Want2build1
05-12-2013, 09:29 PM
fedex letter came
it was £10.50 fedex fees, plus vat on the item so £53 total

at least I know now !

I've just ordered some solar PV panels from ALi

Just shopping for linear rails now ....

Should have a new CNC built early in the year :D

Want2build1
07-12-2013, 10:30 AM
Help !
the order for the PV panel failed. The cancelled the transaction for security reasons.....
I have this message ...

To avoid order cancellation, please follow the below steps to submit a claim:
1.Sign in to AliExpress
2.Go to My Orders and locate this order
3.Click “View Details”
4.Click “Want to Claim”
5.Submit the following documents:
•A copy of your personal ID or passport if you used a personal card for the transaction or a copy of your business registration if you used a business card
•A copy of both sides of the card used
•A copy of the bank statement for the card used

Just a gentle reminder - a bank statement is a document that shows all the money that went into or out of your bank account during a particular period of time. If needed, you can contact your bank to get this document.

For security reasons, please conceal the middle digits of your card number. However, please make sure that we can locate the card holder’s name, card issuing bank as well as the last four digits of the card/account number.

Once your card information is verified, you can place your order again.

Sincerely,
AliExpress.com
2013.12.06 23:16

Want2build1
07-12-2013, 10:30 AM
that all sounds a bit 'phishy' to me !

Swarfing
07-12-2013, 09:47 PM
I work in finance and no valid business would ask for this level of details especially bank details, coupled with personal documents. report this to Report fraud and internet crime | Action Fraud (http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud)

make sure you phone them not just log it online

Want2build1
07-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Thanks Swarfing

That is just what I thought !

but AliExpress was reccomended to me on this forum ... so I thought I see what others had to say ???

Swarfing
07-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Don't forget by reporting this they will have powers to speak with the company. This would tell if it was genuine for sure and give you some piece of mind too. sooner is better than later

m_c
07-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Provided the email did come from AliExpress, and any links/emails actually go to the AliExpress site (best way to check, is to try and find the same page by logging in on the AliExpress site without clicking any email links), it probably is legit.

I've dealt through Alibaba (Alibaba is essentially the buisness orientated side of the company, with AliExpress more aimed at consumers), and some of their requirements can be a bit 'archaic'. I've also dealt with a couple american companies who wouldn't ship without being sent photographic ID, so the request isn't totally unfeasible.

And having re-read the requirements, they're not exactly bad. They're essentially wanting proof of ID (most places would accept any form of official ID, as not everybody will have a passport), a picture that proves the card is real (note they mention to cover most of the numbers, so they don't really gain anything from the copy - I'd also make a point of covering the security number on the back), and a copy of the card statement (again, nothing much to be gained, other than your spending habits, as they'll already have your key details!).
If it was a scam, they'd be wanting full un-censored details!

Want2build1
07-12-2013, 10:21 PM
but this would be my second order (and much less £££ than my 1st! )

Mt 1st order went through fine, so why would they want all this info for my 2nd order ???

I'm torn between not wanting to bother with it all ,, and wanting the cheap prices ! :/ (greed?)

m_c
07-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Could be down to your chosen supplier. I'm not totally sure on the ins and outs, but I'd imagine the suppliers have some input on what level of customer verification they accept for orders.

The other way to look at it is, would you ship something internationally to somebody with a single transaction history?

I ship stuff internationally, but usually only if the customer has a paypal account with a reasonable transaction history to ensure they are genuine.

Want2build1
07-12-2013, 10:50 PM
Surely any other online store just takes a payment and ships ? from anywhere in the world ?
I sell internationally... if the payment is valid, then I ship the item ?
Copy of passport or bank statements are never considered !

I think I'll pass :(

Swarfing
08-12-2013, 02:57 AM
If you produced all those details you would have almost enough for a cash run. You don't know what info they already hold on you. Just check with your bank and they will confirm. Never ever give an online supplier your personal details to this level. International business follow a recognised code of practice for banking transactions. If this business is not following this then they are not worth doing business with

Want2build1
08-12-2013, 12:13 PM
I've messaged the seller to see If I can buy direct and pay with paypal.
They seem agreeable, asking me to contact them next week when they get more stock. At least I'll have paypal protection, and not have to give any more personal info away

Swarfing
08-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Thats the way to go, maybe even point him to this thread to see the conversation they are causing regarding their practice?

Want2build1
08-12-2013, 02:55 PM
It's not the seller asking for this info ... it's AliExpress (sort of like ebay/paypal)

Swarfing
09-12-2013, 12:42 AM
Ah i missed that but still fishy

Want2build1
09-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Ah i missed that but still fishy

Does it change your mind at all ?
I've had my 1st transaction go ok at over £200
This is my second i'm having trouble with, at around £40 ...

Swarfing
10-12-2013, 01:36 AM
Think about it, Ebay drop a transaction into your account to trace where the payment goes to and from. Asking for id is normal just not to that level i would be comfortable with?

I decided to do a quick google tonight, check these threads out. You decide?

Why is Aliexpress asking for credit card copies? (http://community.aliexpress.com/threads/45197-Why-is-Aliexpress-asking-for-credit-card-copies)

Order closed "for security reasons" - no reasons exposed-Alibaba Trade Forums (http://resources.alibaba.com/topic/801070662/Order_closed_for_security_reasons_no_reasons_expos ed.htm)

Want2build1
10-12-2013, 09:51 AM
I don't think it's right at all.
I was hoping to get replies from the likes of those on here that recommended AliExpress to me ??

jcb121
12-12-2013, 11:02 PM
I use it daily and haven't had a problem like this. Sellers have access to your email address when you buy something so make sure you go to the web and not click and email links. I'd say buy from another supplier. Alipay is pretty safe. I had a refund for an item that was lost in the mail so I have a bit of faith in it.

dsc
07-04-2014, 09:52 AM
Thought I'd bump this as I'm looking at buying some Leadshine kit of Aliexpress. What's the best way to pay? I've seen that Aliexpress advises against paying directly to the seller and go through them, although not having used the system before, I'm not sure how that's done. Anyone's got more experience?

Regards,
T.

asbo
07-04-2014, 12:29 PM
It works pretty much like any other online shop, find the thing you want, choose how many and then click the buy button. Create an account if you haven't already and then choose your payment method, I use a Visa debit card and get charged a pound or 2 for the currency conversion.
Aliexpress hold on to your money until you confirm you've received the item and its working, then they pay the seller.

As with ebay don't pay a seller privately, use the system on the site.
An exception of this would be if you really know you can trust the seller, like I've bought stuff directly from chai as he has a reputation of being an honest chap. I don't think anyone from aliexpress has built such a reputation with the CNC community yet though.

dsc
07-04-2014, 01:55 PM
Cheers asbo, I will give it a go.

Regards,
T.