PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: Another CNC enthusiast joins the fold

captainresonator
25-08-2007, 12:10 AM
:) Hi all
My name is Roy and I am an electronics design engineer based in the Midlands. My hobbies are electronics and model engineering.
I have a milling machine and lath which I bought many years ago but I only got into CNC this last six months. I always thought it would cost a fortune and be a complex operation to convert a machine to CNC operation. Not anymore, low cost powerfull stepper motors and electronics linked to a modern PC works wonders for a modest outlay. Since then I have converted the milling machine, an Alpine Minor to CNC operation. To save more money I have also designed my own control boards. I am please to see a British CNC forum site and wish it and it's users all the best for the future.

Lee Roberts
29-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Welcome to the forums ROY!, post up your build logs and any information you have in the right forums it all helps and we all love to see each other building stuff and helping each other out.

Lee Roberts
31-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Welcome to the forums Roy, thanks for the kind words about the site.

Lee Roberts
12-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Bring back roy !

irving2008
12-05-2009, 08:23 PM
:) Hi all
My name is Roy and I am an electronics design engineer based in the Midlands. My hobbies are electronics and model engineering.
I have a milling machine and lath which I bought many years ago but I only got into CNC this last six months. I always thought it would cost a fortune and be a complex operation to convert a machine to CNC operation. Not anymore, low cost powerfull stepper motors and electronics linked to a modern PC works wonders for a modest outlay. Since then I have converted the milling machine, an Alpine Minor to CNC operation. To save more money I have also designed my own control boards. I am please to see a British CNC forum site and wish it and it's users all the best for the future.
Hi Roy, I'm an electronics design engineer originally although its more a home exercise now as my career went off into consultancy. Whats an Alpine Minor? Is it anything like the Warco Minor?

irving2008
12-05-2009, 09:01 PM
I think you'd struggle to tell them apart Irving :)
So much like mine then.... I'm still tempted to go that route....

Lee Roberts
13-05-2009, 02:16 AM
Some times i do depends what they'v got in, that pic however was in "homebargins".

Great deals on some times.