View Full Version : Stepper motor help

Mucky Mike
03-04-2009, 10:54 PM
As a complete numpty to this CNC building I need a question answered.
I have decided to build a Rockliffe Flying gantry machine. 48" x 36".
Now the construction side is not to much of a problem but the motor and electronics of the build are completely over my head. I have spent many hours researching this build but to be honest the specs of these things are above me. I have found this on fleabay and was wondering if this is what I should go for.
It won't be doing any heavy machining just profiling composite aluminium laminates mostly 3mm thick. (easily cut with a standard router)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160325345557QQssPageNameZMERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr3_Pc Y_BIN_IT&refitem=160324881626&itemcount=3&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%26itu%3DUCI%2 52BSI%26otn%3D3

I know I will need 4 axis and from what I have read I think this kit should fit the bill. Can anyone tell me if this is right for what I need and is the price good or bad.

Looking forward to your replies.
Cheers :beer:

John S
04-04-2009, 12:31 AM
I personally don't like these combined drives, all on one board.
A stepper driver is the weakest link in the CNC chain, fry one axis and the whole board is toast. Separate drivers are about 40 each for good ones with protected circuitry, the on board ones are very basic.

All this is in that box is a power supply, say 40 tops, 3 drivers 120 and a breakout board say 45 and that all components available in the UK so warranty isn't like having to send a box back to China and waiting God knows how long.

If you want an all on one board driver then DIY-CNC does one for 90 built and tested.

John s.

Lee Roberts
04-04-2009, 04:25 AM
I would go with John on this having blow one or two drivers myself, it dose happen !