PDA

View Full Version : Stepper motor help

Mucky Mike
03-04-2009, 10:54 PM
As a complete numpty to this CNC building I need a question answered.
I have decided to build a Rockliffe Flying gantry machine. 48" x 36".
Now the construction side is not to much of a problem but the motor and electronics of the build are completely over my head. I have spent many hours researching this build but to be honest the specs of these things are above me. I have found this on fleabay and was wondering if this is what I should go for.
It won't be doing any heavy machining just profiling composite aluminium laminates mostly 3mm thick. (easily cut with a standard router)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160325345557QQssPageNameZMERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr3_Pc Y_BIN_IT&refitem=160324881626&itemcount=3&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%26itu%3DUCI%2 52BSI%26otn%3D3

I know I will need 4 axis and from what I have read I think this kit should fit the bill. Can anyone tell me if this is right for what I need and is the price good or bad.

Looking forward to your replies.
Cheers :beer:
Mike

John S
04-04-2009, 12:31 AM
I personally don't like these combined drives, all on one board.
A stepper driver is the weakest link in the CNC chain, fry one axis and the whole board is toast. Separate drivers are about £40 each for good ones with protected circuitry, the on board ones are very basic.

All this is in that box is a power supply, say £40 tops, 3 drivers £120 and a breakout board say £45 and that all components available in the UK so warranty isn't like having to send a box back to China and waiting God knows how long.

If you want an all on one board driver then DIY-CNC does one for £90 built and tested.

John s.

Lee Roberts
04-04-2009, 04:25 AM
I would go with John on this having blow one or two drivers myself, it dose happen !