PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible, oval recess with sides that gently rise

petesos
05-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Hi All
Sorry not been on for a while but have been flat out working.
Now I have a Question for anyone that might know if it is Possible to do.

For instance
A flat piece of wood 300x300x50mm
and i want to carve an oval recess in the middle , BUT the sides need to gently rise from the bottom to the top of the wood.

The software I am using is Cut3d/VcarvePro6/Coral Draw / Coral Paint and Vector art 3D and Mach3
or do I need to buy another software package to do this type of Pocketing .

Pete:cool:

mekanik
06-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Hi Petesos
When you say the sides need to gently rise do you mean sides are @ an angle to the bottom of the recess ? if so perhaps an angled router bit would do.
Regards
Mike

petesos
06-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Hi Mike
Yes you could do it with that type of tool but wouldnt that leave steps in the sides rather than a smooth gentle rising curve up
Pete

Boyan Silyavski
07-12-2013, 02:45 AM
You need 3d CAM like Aspire and Ball nose router bit for this type of job. This is 3D not 2.5D job.

mekanik
07-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Hi Pete
Please be aware that i am new to CNC and do not (as yet) have a machine so i am approaching this from a different perspective. If a suitable taper cutter is available could you machine the pocket to it's base dimension with a parallel cutter, change the cutter over to the tater cutter,set the cutter just cleare of the bottom of the pocket and incrementally step the cutter out until the the side is finished(no steps)
Plan "B" again you need a cutter with the required angle, just make a router template jig and do it by hand,obviously producing the oval shape is the only hard part to the job, but it's easy peasy on your CNC.
Does that make any sense.
Regards
Mike

Want2build1
07-12-2013, 12:46 PM
Does any of your software let you use depth maps ? that should be quite easy to do.

I take it you are wanting to make a platter/bowl/plate of some decscription ?

Boyan Silyavski
07-12-2013, 02:13 PM
My mistake. You said you have Cut3d and i did not see it. You can use that if the object is made by some 3d CAD software and exported in STL, 3D DXF, 3DS, OBJ, WRL, LWO, V3M

petesos
07-12-2013, 09:45 PM
Hi Pete
Please be aware that i am new to CNC and do not (as yet) have a machine so i am approaching this from a different perspective. If a suitable taper cutter is available could you machine the pocket to it's base dimension with a parallel cutter, change the cutter over to the tater cutter,set the cutter just cleare of the bottom of the pocket and incrementally step the cutter out until the the side is finished(no steps)
Plan "B" again you need a cutter with the required angle, just make a router template jig and do it by hand,obviously producing the oval shape is the only hard part to the job, but it's easy peasy on your CNC.
Does that make any sense.
Regards
Mike

Hi Mike
Yes I could do it that way but I dont think you would get the long sweeping sides rising to the top ,,but will have a go
Pete

petesos
07-12-2013, 09:49 PM
Does any of your software let you use depth maps ? that should be quite easy to do.

I take it you are wanting to make a platter/bowl/plate of some decscription ?

I am not sure if any of the softwear I have has the depth map function as I have looked and not found it ,,,,any ideas where to find it Yes I am trying to do a weird shaped bowl and am wanting nice sweeping sides to it ...

Is there a software package that I could buy that would allow me to create my own designs and then mill it out ???
Pete

petesos
07-12-2013, 10:03 PM
My mistake. You said you have Cut3d and i did not see it. You can use that if the object is made by some 3d CAD software and exported in STL, 3D DXF, 3DS, OBJ, WRL, LWO, V3M

Hi Bud
Yes I can use that but cut3d will not let you design your own shape and I have over a thousand 3d models but not one unique one
that I could personalise.
Pete

Want2build1
07-12-2013, 10:52 PM
I don't know about mach3, but linuxCNC lets you open a bitmap and cut it ?

petesos
09-12-2013, 09:22 PM
My Cut3d lets me open a bitmap and ten run it through Mach3 But I was wondering what softwear is available to convert a picture and create a 3D relief out of it .....Any suggestions anyone ???
Pete

Want2build1
09-12-2013, 09:45 PM
this is 3d depth map ...
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=depth+map&safe=off&client=ubuntu&hs=AxT&channel=cs&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=iSumUof6GsO80QWN2YGgCQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=887

it (with the compatible software) cut a 3d relief

Boyan Silyavski
10-12-2013, 10:41 AM
My Cut3d lets me open a bitmap and ten run it through Mach3 But I was wondering what softwear is available to convert a picture and create a 3D relief out of it .....Any suggestions anyone ???
Pete

I have done it and for sure it can be done using Photoshop. I am not sure if you can make it with Corel /Paint/ .

Basically you do this:
Workflow Technique #051 @Digital Outback Photo (http://www.outbackphoto.com/workflow/wf_51/essay.html)

Said in other words you make the image BW. Use a mask. Blur it. Then clean the blur where necessary using the mask. And invert it/ the BW/ if necessary to achieve what you want high or low.

There is 30day free trial, so you can play with it.

Want2build1
10-12-2013, 10:48 AM
inkscape is free and can create gadient fills/shading

magicniner
09-02-2014, 12:15 AM
I don't know about mach3, but linuxCNC lets you open a bitmap and cut it ?

A 3D Bitmap?

Want2build1
09-02-2014, 08:21 AM
A 3D Bitmap?
Yes .. a 'depthmap'