PDA

View Full Version : HELP Gary, I'm having a disaster

Robin Hewitt
09-04-2009, 09:04 PM
I did say I was no good at fitting ballnuts which is why I asked you to fit them for me. Guess you forgot.

I did my best, but it had to go on over a 12mm shaft with grooves in it for my grub screws. I could see balls were going to drop in the grooves so I wrapped it, slid it on and started screwing. It was not happy.

It seized up PDQ, I jiggled and joggled trying to persuade it on but it's all gone horribly wrong. The milling machine is in pieces. I have half the nut in place, probably missing 2 or 3 balls, and the other half is in a box.

Think I may have found the problem, could be a slight burr where they machined the end to a shoulder.

Questions:

Is it possible I can reassemble the nut?

Is it possible to top up the end circuit 2 or 3 balls if I wind the shaft back?

Hot tips for assembling the second shaft?

Had to happen just before the Bank Holiday <angst> but it's the first time I've had a few days free :rolleyes:

Much ta

Robin

Robin Hewitt
09-04-2009, 10:01 PM
The thought of no mill for the Bank holiday spurred me on, I actually have very little to lose.

I have reassembled the second nut, deburred the thread and fitted it.

I have 5 balls left over from the first nut.

New question

Is it worth taking the other nut apart for 5 balls?

Guess I will find out if it feels right when I fit the next one :eek:

Robin

Gary
09-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Sorry i did forget, send it all back to me and i will fit it.

Gary

The thought of no mill for the Bank holiday spurred me on, I actually have very little to lose.

I have reassembled the second nut, deburred the thread and fitted it.

I have 5 balls left over from the first nut.

New question

Is it worth taking the other nut apart for 5 balls?

Guess I will find out if it feels right when I fit the next one :eek:

Robin

Robin Hewitt
16-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Well, I can't be all that miffed because I just bought another one for the Z :beer: