PDA

View Full Version : BUILD LOG: Planning and getting things together

bobhome
11-12-2013, 12:40 PM
After much to-ing and fro-ing I've decided to build my own router having been inspired by reading this and other great CNC forums.
The plan is to build a machine big enough to hold an 8 x 4 sheet.
I plan on cutting nothing harder than timber/mdf and the router will be used at home in my 16ft x 20ft garage which is detached from my house.
Tools I currently have:
1. Evolution Rage 2 chop saw
2. Pillar Drill
3. Bench Grinder
4. Homemade powered hacksaw
5. Angle Grinder
6. Various metalwork hand tools
7. Arc and a Mig Welder
and a whole heap of wood working tools including a fret saw and table saw.

The base will be constructed from steel and be welded. The plan is to make the base no bigger than the width of a door opening. So the height of the base would be no greater than about 780mm. I don't need a lot of Z movement - max about 4 inches. 80mm x 80mm box section appears to be ample frame size.

At the planning stage I have decided upon 1 of 2 designs for the base.
Design 1 - I believe this is some chap on this forum

Design 2 - Has detachable top rails. Mine would not have such a Z axis movement and be a lot lower. I may extend the rails at one end thanks to JAZZCNC for this idea.

Design 2 is my favourite at the moment. Taking into account the length of my machine I would probably need 4 vertical supports instead of 3.
I would be interested to hear thoughts from others on this.
Thanks
Bob

kingcreaky
11-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Hi bob..

lets have some photos of this homemade powered hacksaw...

ive been meaning to make one for a while. Ive collected a few bits but like seeing all homemade tools...

matt

JAZZCNC
13-12-2013, 12:15 AM
Well here's one for you.!! . . . . How about building vertical machine and save a load of space.? (Almost go thru Garage Side door then.!!). . Think Panel saw like you see at BQ etc.

My machines been working in a vertical position now for over a year and it works perfect and that's cutting aluminium. It's also in the worst vertical position because it's having to lift the whole gantry vertical not horizontal. (It's actually back on it's feet at the moment but that's for repair reasons.!!)

If I was building a 8x4 router just for wood then it would definitely be built vertical even if I had the room has it's so much easier to keep the workshop clean let alone the space saving and other benefits.
90% of the chips fall with gravity so land at the base of machine, this natural falling also helps increase cutter life and give better work finish has it's not re-cutting chips.
Because it's vertical it's very easy and simple to build an enclose around it using cheap 2XG doors and contain all the mess inside. (Think Large wardrobe with see thru doors.!)
Work handling and access to parts on bed is so much easier has now your stood directly in front to fasten or remove and not bent over struggling to reach.

Like I say plenty of positives and No real negatives.

Now what do you plan to use for Linear motion.? Ie: R&P or Ballscrews has this will play a part in how you design the machine.?

EddyCurrent
16-12-2013, 10:01 AM
It's also in the worst vertical position because it's having to lift the whole gantry vertical not horizontal.

What if you put 2 wire ropes from the gantry over pulleys at the top attached to a counter weight at the back, I'm sure you must have considered this.

JAZZCNC
16-12-2013, 05:34 PM
What if you put 2 wire ropes from the gantry over pulleys at the top attached to a counter weight at the back, I'm sure you must have considered this.

No I haven't considered it really has it's not a problem and it works fine. Thats was the point in mentioning it because if it works ok in this orientation then it will work fine in the other and to be honest for this size machine it's non starter to have gantry run Vertical.!

Agree thou if space was limited and it had to be vertical then it would make sense to design a counter balance into the design from the start just to help the motor out a bit.

bobhome
16-12-2013, 07:55 PM
homemade powered hacksaw...

Hi Matt, it's currently packed away, but once I can get some free time I will set it up and take some pictures or video.

Well here's one for you.!! . . . . How about building vertical machine
Jazz, I've seen you mention this before. Is this your machine: Ihttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjJ88n-ynx0

Going vertical, I'd imagine you would true the rails up horizontally and then fit the bed to the wall.
So, my first question would be how is it possible to keep the rails true when lifting it and fixing it to the wall?

JAZZCNC
16-12-2013, 10:38 PM
Going vertical, I'd imagine you would true the rails up horizontally and then fit the bed to the wall.
So, my first question would be how is it possible to keep the rails true when lifting it and fixing it to the wall?

Yes that was it first proped against the wall.

Well in my case then the frame is Rock solid and rails setup on the same plane on the floor so when lifted it hardly moved. The bit it did was a simple case of adjusting with packers and plenty of test cuts to get it back true and setup permanently.

If Building from scratch and designed to be vertical then it would be completley differant and I'd probably build a sturdy Sub frame base that supports the Rails which can then be adjusted or shimmed onto the same plane. It's not really Rocket science just takes time and patience and this is why I'm always saying build has much adjustment into machines has possible because it greatly helps at DIY level.

bobhome
17-12-2013, 12:13 PM
Now what do you plan to use for Linear motion.? Ie: R&P or Ballscrews has this will play a part in how you design the machine.?

I'm thinking R&P with SBR20 fully supported rails.

EddyCurrent
20-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Design 2 is my favourite at the moment. Taking into account the length of my machine I would probably need 4 vertical supports instead of 3.
I would be interested to hear thoughts from others on this.
Thanks
Bob

Very similar to what you have in mind I think ? but this one is just 1000 x 600 bed so about 1/4 size.

http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/router-build-logs/6565-ready-steady-eddy-10.html#post52425

bobhome
20-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Looking good there he says with envy.
That's a lot of steel and it must weigh a ton.
I will be following your thread closely.

EddyCurrent
20-12-2013, 11:50 AM
That's a lot of steel and it must weigh a ton.

Probably about 100kg so not too bad.
On a larger machine I would have made the bed as a separate piece and maybe have the sides separate so they bolt onto end pieces.

GEOFFREY
20-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Your frame is looking great Eddy. Well done, you now seem to be well on your way to having a very nice and well thought out machine. G.