PDA

View Full Version : VCarve - Stacking / Layering of vectors ??

lee.hatton
04-01-2014, 09:31 PM
Hi all,

Im trying to generate a toolpath in vcarve for a topography map to be milled in wood, something similar to the attached picture.

If 2 layers happen to stack up on the Z axis with a straight line, that's not a problem. However if the vertical stack is a curve is there anyway to copy a section of the path 'above'.

In the below example, assume a block 20mm thick, with section 1 on the face, section 2 being a 5mm cut, section 3 being a 10mm cut etc. Where 1 meets 2, I cant seem to 'close' the vector for part 2.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Lee

EddyCurrent
04-01-2014, 11:24 PM
In case you don't get an answer here, have you asked this question on the Vectric forum ?

Vectric Forum • Index page (http://forum.vectric.com/)

lee.hatton
04-01-2014, 11:40 PM
Just waiting for my registration to be approved !

Clive S
04-01-2014, 11:54 PM
Hi all,

In the below example, assume a block 20mm thick, with section 1 on the face, section 2 being a 5mm cut, section 3 being a 10mm cut etc. Where 1 meets 2, I cant seem to 'close' the vector for part 2.

Lee

I am no expert but would you not have to draw another line on top of vector one and then you could join it to vector two if you see what I mean. ..Clive

JAZZCNC
05-01-2014, 12:12 AM
I don't use V-carve pro but I would imagine separate Vectors on differant layers would easily sort that out.?

Clive S
05-01-2014, 12:20 AM
I don't use V-carve pro but I would imagine separate Vectors on differant layers would easily sort that out.?

Yes that would be a better option perhaps easier. ..Clive

lee.hatton
05-01-2014, 12:29 AM
Hi both,

Yes I think you are right with seperate vectors on different layers, I'm just struggling to make the vector shapes identical for the small portion where they 'touch'

I imagine it can be done by copy/paste and manually cropping but just wondered if there was a smarter way to go about it.

Thanks for the input so far

Lee

Clive S
05-01-2014, 12:32 AM
Hi both,

I imagine it can be done by copy/paste and manually cropping but just wondered if there was a smarter way to go about it.

Lee

Yes that's right copy and paste to another layer then use the snip tool to cut away the bit you don't want. ..Clive