PDA

View Full Version : My first bits of work from a chinese 3020 cnc

Jester
31-01-2014, 10:01 AM
Ok after about a month of tweaking and messing with the cnc here are my first bits of work.

Ive had to learn how to use artcam and aspire, and also how to make a post processor for my needs, although that is still in the creative phase.

These are 80mm wide the first three are 3d reliefs of my children. the last one is one i did for a friend we met in the premature baby hospital.

This one is for my partners mum, who just had a hip operation i forget the diemnsions of the top of my head but i will find out.

Jonathan
31-01-2014, 11:48 AM
i forget the diemnsions of the top of my head but i will find out.

Well the average human head is about 22cm long and 18cm wide. :wink:

AndyGuid
01-02-2014, 03:54 AM
Good stuff.... I would be very happy if my first bits of work turned out like that!

njhussey
01-02-2014, 09:25 AM
Well done mate...onwards and upwards on the learning curve!! A bit jealous as I'm still making my router...

JAZZCNC
01-02-2014, 11:27 AM
Excellent work you should be very proud of these for first attempts things can only get better and more creative.:applause:

I'm curious to why you needed to get into Post processors.? Both those softwares have posts for Mach3 (and Linux I believe.?) do you have special requirements (nearly wrote Special Needs but didn't think it sounded right . .Lol)

PS: Nice looking Kids and Riley's got that little Rascal look. . .Lol

Jester
01-02-2014, 11:29 AM
The ones that came with the software didnt have MTC so i had to do a bit of research and figure out how to do MTC.

Sometime quite simple im sure but it took a while to figure out lol

Next i need to strengthen a new bed i put on, it flex's a hell of a lot.

JAZZCNC
01-02-2014, 12:02 PM
The ones that came with the software didnt have MTC so i had to do a bit of research and figure out how to do MTC.

By MTC do you mean manual too change.? . . . . . Erm don't know if I dare tell you this if you have spent alot of time on it.? . . You may have just had Mach3 set wrong(If using Mach3). Thou it never hurts to learn how post P's work just like learing G-code.

Jester
01-02-2014, 05:07 PM
No ive not spent a lot of time on the post p, it was the artcam software that was saying mach3 didnt support toolchange. and i wanted to tweak it so it displayed the toolpath name and tool being used.

Next step is that really have to fit home and limit switches although i dont know wether to swap out this bob and drive boards for another one i have which has optoisolation built on. or do i stay with the tonsen bob i have which seams to be working ok at the moment.

descions descions lol

JAZZCNC
01-02-2014, 06:52 PM
No ive not spent a lot of time on the post p, it was the artcam software that was saying mach3 didnt support toolchange. and i wanted to tweak it so it displayed the toolpath name and tool being used.

Ok know exactly what you mean but there is a Mach Post for Artcam that works with multiple tools for either ATC or manual tool change but needs mach setup correctly to work.! . . . . Like I say thou it's good to learn how the internals work so you can do things like formating to your prefered style or information.

If it's working don't mess.! . . . . When it gives up the ghost then replace with a decent BOB because this is one area that gives the most hassle.

EddyCurrent
01-02-2014, 10:10 PM
Good effort !, what cutter did you use for the 3D reliefs ? also as I'm sure you will know the results would be a lot crisper with a closer grained hardwood like beech or lime as used in carving.

Jester
02-02-2014, 12:07 PM
I used a 30deg cutter for the engraving i think i had it running a little fast but my brother dsaid it was fine ( he runs three commercial cnc machines)

The get well soon was hardwood but tbh i dont know what. I have a cupboard and bin full of hardwood from walnut, oak, ash cherry. But as is always the case the wood i have isnt the right dimensions for what i need lol. All a bit too thick

Jester
02-02-2014, 12:08 PM
I do need to get some new mill bits though i only have one and im sure ill snap it soon lol