PDA

View Full Version : threading ground bar ends

dazza
04-02-2014, 10:51 PM
i dont have a lathe to do this so what im looking at to get 2 X 1200mm lengths of 25mm linear bar threaded i need a course M24 thread ,thread,thread length around 50mm one end and about 75-80mm the other.

i havent bought the rail yet case theres alternatives its for a shed injection moulder i just need to complete the top half assembley and planned on useing flanged bearings,it will be very simular to the one in the link but i cant make out how they have fixed the ends of the rail to the plate top and bottom so my plan is to screw the rail into the large bed plate at the bottom and use nuts top and bottom of the top plate.
НАСТОЛЬНЫЙ ТЕ*МОПЛАСТАВТОМАТ www.stnk.com.ua - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5GOPrI1I2w)

EddyCurrent
04-02-2014, 11:12 PM
Can't help with your question but I urge you to get something like this instead of the totally unsafe practice in that video.

Buy Enclosed Push Button Stations Two-hand operation console 22mm-control Siemens 3SB3863-4BA online from RS for next day delivery. (http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/enclosed-push-button-stations/7429420/)

You could make one like it for small money.

m_c
05-02-2014, 12:32 AM
Top looks like they've used bearing locknuts. If you look around 1:29, you can see the two nuts on top of each other. I'd also guess they've used a similar setup on the bottom, as going by the general construction of that machine, I doubt they'd have a big enough tap or access to something capable of thread milling, unless they've welded the bottom ends.
I'd also say the top plate has a slight bend in it, but it could just be the camera angle. Might be worth adding a couple ribs for some additional strength.
Eddy, I'd hardly call that totally unsafe. Might get health and safety squirming, but given how slow it moves and the fact you're controlling it with a basic spring centred spool valve, if you manage to crush yourself with it, you deserve a darwin nomination.

dazza
05-02-2014, 07:59 PM
but given how slow it moves and the fact you're controlling it with a basic spring centred spool valve,.
Its the same on this here, let go of the lever it springs back to neuteral .
i thought chia did this rail i was going to ask him if he,d thread it, still waiting on a reply from zapps,cheers

EddyCurrent
05-02-2014, 08:09 PM
Feel free to do what you think is best, Injection Moulder Safety -> http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/ppis4.pdf

magicniner
05-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Feel free to do what you think is best, Injection Moulder Safety -> http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/ppis4.pdf

So are you suggesting we implement all HSE directives and recommendations on all our builds & conversions?

EddyCurrent
05-02-2014, 10:48 PM
No, that's your suggestion, I said, "Feel free to do what you think is best". And sorry I didn't realise people could only get injured at work and being home gave some immunity.
Also just so you know, this is my last post in this thread.

m_c
06-02-2014, 12:57 AM
I wouldn't be too hung up on using linear bar for something like this. I'd personally opt for some bright finish bar combined with suitable metal bushings, as I suspect the loads may not suit linear bearings that well, and a few thou float would probably be beneficial to helping things align.
Eddy, I think most people on here have enough sense to identify real risks.
The type of machine that the HSE guide you posted a link to is aimed at, are automatic cycle machines, where you set it running, and it runs through the entire operation continually with no user interaction, which rightly should be protected by various guards/interlocks.
The type of machine discussed here stops as soon as you let go of the lever, so the only real risk is from you putting your limbs where you shouldn't. (well there are other risks, but they should be minimised provided the machine is designed correctly)

magicniner
06-02-2014, 09:59 AM
I said, "Feel free to do what you think is best". And sorry I didn't realise people could only get injured at work and being home gave some immunity..

People can get injured anywhere but the difference between hobby user at home and employee is vast, employers and HSE recommendations have to cater for the lowest possible level of common sense and intelligence in tool users or face a huge claim when some thick bugger sticks their hand into active equipment.

Anyone working in their own workshop without employees can make decisions for themselves, rather than assuming they're thick I count their fingers - that will often show if they're fit to make those decisions or not ;-)

- Nick

magicniner
06-02-2014, 10:16 AM
i dont have a lathe to do this so what im looking at to get 2 X 1200mm lengths of 25mm linear bar threaded i need a course M24 thread ,thread,thread length around 50mm one end and about 75-80mm the other.

i havent bought the rail yet case theres alternatives its for a shed injection moulder i just need to complete the top half assembley and planned on useing flanged bearings,it will be very simular to the one in the link but i cant make out how they have fixed the ends of the rail to the plate top and bottom so my plan is to screw the rail into the large bed plate at the bottom and use nuts top and bottom of the top plate.

Depending on their pipe threader you might find a local electrical installations company that could put an inch pipe thread on bars for you.

Neale
06-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Bright mild steel would give a few thou clearance in nominal size bearings; if you need better you could use ground stock. Both these have the advantage that they are machinable where linear bar might well be hardened and much more difficult to machine.

Gary
06-02-2014, 10:44 PM
Ive not seen any request for a price on this.
Sorry, this is not something we are interested in doing.

Its the same on this here, let go of the lever it springs back to neuteral .
i thought chia did this rail i was going to ask him if he,d thread it, still waiting on a reply from zapps,cheers

dazza
07-02-2014, 08:27 AM
Ive not seen any request for a price on this.
Sorry, this is not something we are interested in doing.
hello gary
this is the confirmation i got after mailing you.your normally quite prompt with the replys so i just assumed you wasnt interested,no worries

Gary
07-02-2014, 08:42 AM
Not sure how we missed this one.
The reason why we dont want to do this is because the M24 thread will still be within the hardness (Partially) so annealing will need to be done.
This may also cause the shaft to bend slightly?

gavztheouch
07-02-2014, 02:38 PM
Hi Deisel, do you have a build thread for your injection moulder? Are you building from any plans or are you just working it out from the machine in the video?

НАСТОЛЬНЫЙ ТЕ*МОПЛАСТАВТОМАТ www.stnk.com.ua (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5GOPrI1I2w) - YouTube

dazza
07-02-2014, 02:46 PM
I wouldn't be too hung up on using linear bar for something like this. I'd personally opt for some bright finish bar combined with suitable metal bushings, as I suspect the loads may not suit linear bearings that well, and a few thou float would probably be beneficial to helping things align.
)
yeah i wanted linear rail because its pretty much garanteed to be straight,id need to cherry pick anything else and thats not an option with buying on line,theres a place local i maybe able to get the threading done i'll see what they say monday.thanks all

gav no plans,but i may get a log going once i get a few more bits in ;)

cropwell
08-02-2014, 09:11 PM
I couldn't watch this video. No safety guard, hand in closing machinery. Bloody OUCH! Time off work, then back to a job that only needs 1 hand. AND don't think it is safe because it has a spring loaded self return gizmo, they can stick and jam. If your hand is there it becomes raspberry jam.

JAZZCNC
08-02-2014, 09:43 PM
I couldn't watch this video. No safety guard, hand in closing machinery. Bloody OUCH! Time off work, then back to a job that only needs 1 hand. AND don't think it is safe because it has a spring loaded self return gizmo, they can stick and jam. If your hand is there it becomes raspberry jam.

Get a Grip Man because the guy in the Video Holding the hydrolic lever has.! . . . . He'd have to fall asleep to get is hand trapped in that it's so slow.

dazza
08-02-2014, 09:51 PM
found a place to do the threading,cheers

magicniner
09-02-2014, 12:03 AM
Get a Grip Man because the guy in the Video Holding the hydrolic lever has.! . . . . He'd have to fall asleep to get is hand trapped in that it's so slow.

Some folk are slow enough to get caught in machinery, no matter how slow it's moving ;-)

JAZZCNC
09-02-2014, 12:55 AM
Some folk are slow enough to get caught in machinery, no matter how slow it's moving ;-)

Simple then In that case then they shouldn't be using it.!!

cropwell
09-02-2014, 01:01 AM
Fortunately my friend did not lose his fingers, I had the fun of taking him to casualty, and waiting around until his wife arrived, while he was x-rayed, stitched and bandaged. He isn't stupid or slow, he just got complacent, like the guy in the Russian video. He didn't realise the risks and got bitten by a machine. That's why I can't watch that sort of thing.

JAZZCNC
09-02-2014, 01:15 AM
He isn't stupid or slow, he just got complacent, like the guy in the Russian video.

Understand what your saying and I've got one finger shorter than the others by being complacent (And I drove my self for it super glueing back on.!!) but in all honesty to get caught in this would be hard work because it's not automaticly operated and he's got his hand on the lever controlling it plus it's moving slow.

CharlesJenkinson
09-02-2014, 08:38 AM
sheesh, I'd be out cold if I did anything like that - not good with trauma. The problem I see for Mr Russia is the potential for thinking he's 'the man' at doing that job and operating that machine - we all have ​that propensity - worse when being video'd. I figure this cause he starts bringing the ram up whilst he's still putting the job back in.

Saracen
09-02-2014, 09:06 AM
> The problem I see for Mr Russia is the potential for thinking he's 'the man' at doing that job

Seeing as "he" is wearing a bra, I doubt that's even crossed her mind...

Adrian.

CharlesJenkinson
09-02-2014, 09:42 AM
I didn't notice his breasts.

magicniner
09-02-2014, 06:24 PM
Simple then In that case then they shouldn't be using it.!!

I dunno, it's a learning and growing experience - all part of life's rich tapestry ;-)

Jonathan
09-02-2014, 07:45 PM

Agreed. Some people take health and safety too far.

That's just natural selection...

JAZZCNC
09-02-2014, 10:02 PM
As anybody worked out what he's making yet.? . . . . I haven't.!

Lee Roberts
10-02-2014, 05:42 PM
That's just natural selection...

Lol agreed.

mekanik
10-02-2014, 07:04 PM
Hi Jazz
Its for an injection moulder
НАСТОЛЬНЫЙ ТЕ*МОПЛАСТАВТОМАТ www.stnk.com.ua - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5GOPrI1I2w)
What i cant understand is why choose ground rail ? the studs need to be made from high tensile steel unless you wan't to risk stripping the thread off. the moving piece wants a couple of reasonably loose brass/delrin bushes fitting.
If everything is too tightly tolerance it's just going to jam up.

JAZZCNC
10-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Hi Jazz
Its for an injection moulder
НАСТž›ЬНЫ™ Т•*œžŸ›АСТА’ТžœАТ www.stnk.com.ua (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5GOPrI1I2w) - YouTube
What i cant understand is why choose ground rail ? the studs need to be made from high tensile steel unless you wan't to risk stripping the thread off. the moving piece wants a couple of reasonably loose brass/delrin bushes fitting.
If everything is too tightly tolerance it's just going to jam up.

LOL . . . I know that I mean What's Telly Tubby in the Video Making.!!

dazza
10-02-2014, 08:30 PM
ive just bought a moulder identical to one in the image blind.. 100 notes.. it has an oil pump issue and its 3 phase.. in the event its too much to fix and i cant use an inverter it should make a good donor

m_c
10-02-2014, 08:50 PM
Nice buy!
Definetly won't work of a standard inverter though, as a standard inverter won't be capable of powering the heating coils.
You'd need to look into a rotary converter if the heating coils run of 415V 3 phase.
Any idea the KW rating of the heaters are?

dazza
10-02-2014, 09:15 PM
Nice buy!
Definetly won't work of a standard inverter though, as a standard inverter won't be capable of powering the heating coils.
You'd need to look into a rotary converter if the heating coils run of 415V 3 phase.
Any idea the KW rating of the heaters are?
im not sure yet m-c ,driving up there tommorrow to give it a once over and arrange delivery be a shame to break it up but i dont have 3 phase.i will get the particulars tommorrow

gavztheouch
11-02-2014, 10:03 AM
Nice find Deisel look like a perfect small scale moulder. Looks like that thin can apply a fair bit of pressure if it is using hydraulics

dazza
11-02-2014, 02:55 PM
Nice find Deisel look like a perfect small scale moulder. Looks like that thin can apply a fair bit of pressure if it is using hydraulics
ive passed on it gav,i just got back from there,its a nice bit of kit but the images regarding size are a little deceiving thing stands about 8 ft tall an heavy,too tall for my shed and a fair lump to get from the road to the top of my yard.
it is too good to break everything powers up .
so if anyones interested there just off the M1 NOTTS and will deliver at a 1 a mile.pm for details.

m_c
11-02-2014, 06:39 PM
I did wonder just how big it was.
Did you get a look at any power requirements for it?

dazza
11-02-2014, 07:09 PM
i didnt m_c ,didnt want to waste anymore of there time with them running a business

m_c
11-02-2014, 11:41 PM
No problem.
I'm trying to avoid buying any new projects just now, so it's probably for the best!