PDA

View Full Version : 6082 aluminium milling directions

dudz
15-02-2014, 07:01 PM
I'm sure this must of been asked before but I can't find it.

1/ To mill a pocket and leave the top outside edges without burs which direction should the spindle be traveling if the tool rotation is clockwise ? And when cutting an outside profile ??

2/ What is the quickest way in cambam to send the spindle around the top outside edge of a profile to do a quick clean up ?

CharlesJenkinson
16-02-2014, 08:58 AM
I'd say cutter motion should be clockwise for the inside pocket and anticlockwise for outside profile, so the cutting edge is advancing to the oncoming work edge, as opposed to the cutting edge taking the trailing work piece by surprise. But I don't know from experience, so take it with a pinch of salt.

magicniner
16-02-2014, 10:42 AM
I'd say cutter motion should be clockwise for the inside pocket and anticlockwise for outside profile, so the cutting edge is advancing to the oncoming work edge, as opposed to the cutting edge taking the trailing work piece by surprise. But I don't know from experience, so take it with a pinch of salt.

That's Conventional Milling, using Climb Milling can give you very neat edges but only if your machine is rigid enough and has very little backlash.
Either should give you neat edges if you have your feeds & speeds correct for the material & cutter, try a calculator like HSM Advisor [ Advanced CNC Speed And Feed Calculator - HSMAdvisor (http://hsmadvisor.com/) ] to check your current settings, the free 30 day trial should give you plenty of time to experiment,

- Nick