PDA

View Full Version : spindle with compressed air release collet

GEOFFREY
19-02-2014, 07:49 PM
I have posted about this before, but have just had another thought. The problem is that I have a couple Jaeger high speed spindles fitted with air release ATC collets. I love being able to change tools so easily (although I only have the standard 1/8" collet). One of these spindles is fitted to my small fixed gantry converted ex PCB router, the other I would like to use for another conversion project. That's where the problem arises - the spindle speed range is 15K-60K and the voltage is 15v-60v, and I do not have a spare inverter. I have been trying to find a suitable inverter, but cannot find a reasonably priced inverter that will meet that specification. I do not need to run at the high spindle speeds for the new project and I wondered if it would be possible to use a 400hz inverter for the job, but have not been able to source an inverter that will output about 24v at 400hz. So here is my latest thought - would it be possible to get the motor rewound to enable the use of a " standard" 400hz inverter? If yes, does anyone know who could do this? Thanks for any thoughts. G.

EddyCurrent
19-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Is the spindle motor 3 wire (3 phase) or 2 wire (DC) ? I'm not convinced it's an inverter you need.

GEOFFREY
19-02-2014, 09:27 PM
Is the spindle motor 3 wire (3 phase) or 2 wire (DC) ? I'm not convinced it's an inverter you need.

Thanks for replying Eddy. This is a 3 phase hf spindle and the original inverter is a 250hz - 1khz unit that gives a low voltage (15-60v) high frequency 3 phase output from a 240v single phase input. Speed control is via 0-10v analogue signal from the controller. I am aware that this is unusual, hence my difficulties and thoughts of getting the spindle rewound. G.

EddyCurrent
19-02-2014, 11:10 PM
Have you tried here ?, I found them very helpful.
Spindles Advisory Service : Machine Tool Spindle Systems (http://www.spindlesas.co.uk/)

GEOFFREY
20-02-2014, 01:06 AM
Thanks Eddy, I'll give him a buzz tomorrow. G.