PDA

View Full Version : When do you accept your eye sights going.???

JAZZCNC
24-02-2014, 03:07 AM
When you put a wire in the wrong connector on a DC supply and spend 5 hours trying to find a fault because your sure it's in the right place.!! . .:yahoo:

Think I need to go to opticians because I can't belive just how fast my eye sight as dropped away.!! . . . . .And now it's 2am and I'm wide awake from my brain doing overtime with fault finding just because I can't bloody see. . .:hysterical:

Ger21
24-02-2014, 04:08 AM
I'm right there with you. Just turned 50 and my eyes have been going fast the last 2 years.
My problem, though, is that I'm nearsighted, and wear contact lenses to see far away, and now I need reading glasses on top of them to see up close. So I have to choose whether I want to see what's up close, or far away. :(

Lots of bright light helps.

AndyGuid
24-02-2014, 08:09 AM
Firstly get confirmation that it's the eyes going and not the mind :friendly_wink:....

And if it's cataracts causing the problems, get the faulty lenses replaced with synthetic ones that correct either your near sight or far sight. Best medical procedure I ever had done.

cropwell
24-02-2014, 09:29 AM
At around 45 to 50 Presbyopia sets in. The eyes lose ability to close focus when the muscles have not got their former strength. This is not unusual. If you have bright illumination the pupils get smaller and you get visual acuity from the 'pinhole camera' effect. Certainly see an optician and make sure there are no cataracts or any other sinister cause, but if you didn't need glasses before you will need reading glasses, which you can buy in supermarkets, +2 dioptres would be a useful strength.

I wear glasses to correct long sight and astigmatism. I have given up with varifocals and have distance glasses, and a +2 pair for computer use. For close work I have some bifocal specs with +2 in the upper portion and +3 in the lower segment.

For many years I had all my vision requirements looked after by an optician, for whom I had taken on a daunting task. He never forgot me for this and his gratitude was with me for the rest of his life.

What did I do ?

I MARRIED HIS BLOODY DAUGHTER !

Cheers,

Rob

GEOFFREY
24-02-2014, 10:01 AM
Look on the bright side Jazz - it only gets worse!!! About 10/15 years ago I started to buy the cheap reading glasses which was a great help. I make miniatures and dollhouses, nowadays mainly in 1/48" scale as the houses are easier to lift and move about. After about 5 years using the reading glasses I decided to buy presrciption readers - big mistake. I found that I could certainly see close up clearly, but because my eyes needed a different prescription for each eye everything looked to be distorted (trapezoidal again)so whereas I have always had a good eye for squareness plumb etc. the world turned wonky. It was back to the Lidl £1.49 readers (which are now £2.49). I have now been told that I have cataracts forming that will require work when ripe, so at that stage if I qualify for lenze implants maybe it will all come back again - eyesight that is!!! G.

Robin Hewitt
24-02-2014, 10:07 AM
When your arms aren't long enough to read a book.

magicniner
24-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Eyesight degradation should be recognised when you can't read the markings on small taps & dies and thus develop a curious affinity for for loupes and all convenient magnifying aparatus but for me it wasn't admitted until the next stage which was the discovery of supermarket reading glasses ;-)

EddyCurrent
24-02-2014, 12:55 PM
I find I need vast amounts of light to see things clearly now, plus of course some magnifying aid on top of the glasses.

types of magnifiers, focal length, dioptres, magnification, working distance (http://www.quicktest.co.uk/magnifiers-article.htm)

JAZZCNC
24-02-2014, 02:59 PM
Ah but the daft thing about this was I do have reading Glass's in the House my girlfriend gave me and never really needed them for wiring etc.!!

Tell you some where else I really noticed the close up eye sight being a problem which surprised me and since found out it's quite common for this to highlight bad eye sight.??? . . . . .Tig welding.!
For 15+ years now I've welded with Mig or MMA and before that Oxy/acet with some small amount of Tig but I've recently bought a AC/DC Tig for welding Ali and Titanium and really noticed I was struggling to see the weld pool clearly no matter how I set my Automask.!! . . . . .It's a Bugger.!!

Clive S
24-02-2014, 06:03 PM
Ah but the daft thing about this was I do have reading Glass's in the House my girlfriend gave me and never really needed them for wiring etc.!! She must have been very generous giving you a house Dean:beer: Just a thought does the eyesight vary with the amount of Guinness consumed :drunk: ..Clive

EddyCurrent
24-02-2014, 06:11 PM
Just a thought does the eyesight vary with the amount of Guinness consumed :drunk: ..Clive

As a Guinness drinker myself I don't think it affects your eyesight, but the more you drink the less you care :highly_amused:

Fivetide
24-02-2014, 06:26 PM
I stopped drinking booze 5 moths ago and my eyesight is improving monthly .. no joke ! It has something to do with blood preasure i am told.

audioandy
24-02-2014, 07:07 PM
Lets face it Dean you're just an old fart like the rest of us and everything is downhill from here on in!

JAZZCNC
24-02-2014, 09:33 PM
Lets face it Dean you're just an old fart like the rest of us and everything is downhill from here on in!

Ah ah Andy Jared(son) as been calling me an Old fart for years but ye I'm slowly coming round to the idea and this is 2 Fubar episodes I've had now.? . . Remember the transformer Cock up.. . Lol

I stopped drinking booze 5 moths ago and my eyesight is improving monthly .. no joke ! It has something to do with blood preasure i am told.

I'd rather go blind than give up my beloved guiness.! . . .Lol

As a Guinness drinker myself I don't think it affects your eyesight, but the more you drink the less you care :highly_amused:

Absolutley and it took 5 Full cans to get before I cared less.!!. . . .One for each wasted hour. .Lol

She must have been very generous giving you a house Dean:beer: Just a thought does the eyesight vary with the amount of Guinness consumed :drunk: ..Clive

Yes she's a wonderful Lady and yes with every drink she gets more beautiful. . Lol

EddyCurrent
24-02-2014, 10:28 PM
I'd rather go blind than give up my beloved guiness.! . . .Lol

Maybe you'd better give up something else then ? :hysterical:

Fivetide
25-02-2014, 12:58 AM

Now if I had to give Ard Cored Prawn up I would def go back to drinking ! As my Doctor.. Geet Baldeep said to me once.. every 100 strokes gives you one day of life, that you are less likely to die of prostate cancer, I said I could could stop now, and I'm guaranteed wont get it till I'm a 180 ! :cocksure:

JAZZCNC
25-02-2014, 09:15 AM

One cancels the other out.:very_drunk:

Robin Hewitt
25-02-2014, 10:44 AM
It's a Bugger.!!

Don't complain. The next thing to go is your bladder which changes from rubber to leather. Apart from the boredom waiting for it to empty, the lack of stretch means it only has two settings, empty or bursting. It's not the end of the world but you have to plan ahead. Avoid motorway traffic jams.

One of the strangest things about getting old is you learn the latin names for so many body parts you scarcely knew you had when you were young and carefree :friendly_wink:

EddyCurrent
25-02-2014, 11:15 AM
One cancels the other out.

Good one.

Don't complain. The next thing to go is your bladder which changes from rubber to leather. Apart from the boredom waiting for it to empty, the lack of stretch means it only has two settings, empty or bursting. It's not the end of the world but you have to plan ahead. Avoid motorway traffic jams.

Exactly, here's some essential kit

Economy Male Urinal from Complete Care Shop | Disability aid care shopping made easy (http://www.completecareshop.co.uk/toileting-aids/urinals-and-bed-pans/economy-male-urinal-view-large/?gclid=CJ3bgdiE57wCFYMfwwod63AAJA)

cropwell
25-02-2014, 03:14 PM
I was disappointed when the butler sink fitted in my workshop was too high to 'stand comfortably at' :biggrin:.

Eddy - this one is cheaper and has higher capacity - Plastic Bucket 14L - Gardening & Maintenance -Gardens - Wickes (http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/543007)

Fivetide
25-02-2014, 04:39 PM
Best thing since sliced bread lmfao :fat: Never miss any part of a movie again ... and drink the full 4 pint tub of coke !

JAZZCNC
25-02-2014, 04:52 PM
Best thing since sliced bread lmfao :fat: Never miss any part of a movie again ... and drink the full 4 pint tub of coke !

Bollocks to Movie and coke.!! . . . It means extra 4 Pack and 3hours more in workshop.. .:joker:

irving2008
27-02-2014, 08:08 AM
I think I'm more than qualified to comment on this :) (bowel humour is mandatory for terra & paraplegics) ,but rushing to the loo isn't a problem for me, and here's a solution
(http://www.coloplast.co.uk/SpeediCath-Compact-Set-en-gb.aspx) for you ;)

Robin Hewitt
27-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Blimey Irving, it just doesn't seem right to complain about our problems if you don't complain about yours. Would it be alright for us to pretend that what we have actually matters? Have you got some minor ailment you could moan about, a zitt on your bum, something like that, something we can compete with :uncomfortableness:

irving2008
28-02-2014, 12:27 AM
Hey Robin, don't take it too seriously :)

Strangely my eyesight is getting better as I get older!

Robin Hewitt
28-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Strangely my eyesight is getting better as I get older!

Eyesight I can relate to. The wife and I just got letters from Spec Savers to say we are due for eye tests, the big difference being mine is free on account of my incredible age. I also get free prescriptions, the winter fuel allowance and screened for bowel cancer every other year. Keep meaning to get a bus pass before they cancel them. She is in my bad books at the moment because since buying my Baker Rifle I reckoned I probably looked like Sean Bean, Sharpes Rifles on telly, then she suddenly says, "Hey, in profile you look like Alfred Hitchcock, you know that picture outline he used". That is not quite the same. Grumble moan complain.