PDA

View Full Version : DIY CNC router illuminated control panel

wiatroda
05-03-2014, 01:13 AM
Hi Guys
For a last few months I've been trying to design and build illuminated CNC control panel. Yes it took a few months :/ . Finally I've managed to finish the experimental version 1.0 it and there is the result:
Looks like a Christmas tree, but there is a method in my madness :stupid:. The buttons are color coded for ease of use and to quickly find them.
All communication is done using Arduino Leonardo- so the board emulates the keyboard - single strokes and/or combinations.
There is the video of the first ever proper test (off line thou)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP8AKqnnQFk
I'll try to upload more pics soon. If you have any questions - don't hesitate :)

EddyCurrent
05-03-2014, 08:36 AM
Looks good, what kind of switches did you use ? could you have based it on a USB or wireless numeric keypad thus avoiding the Arduino ?
e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Number-Numeric-Keypad-Wireless-Advent-N212-Laptop-Excel-Accounting-/221376808337?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_Ke yboardsMice&hash=item338b160591

wiatroda
05-03-2014, 10:51 AM
Hi Eddy
Each button is made from 3 and 5mm thick acrylic. Top part is painted mat black and then engraved. After that the two parts are glued together. Each button presses tactile switch. Each tactile switch/button is connected to one dedicated port in arduino leaonardo. The sketch in arduino works as follow: When the button is pressed arduino detect change of the value on the input port. Dependent on what button is pressed the arduino sends a specific command to the computer. For example when START button is pressed Arduino sends code of ALT press then shortly after that the letter R, when button is released it sends command of release Key R the release ALT. Sorry but there is no way to use this ebay keypad and to avoid arduino.
Worth mentioning that there is no need to install any software or plugins on the computer- it sees the control panel as standard USB keyboard.
Few pics of the parts:
Picture above shows my first acrylic back-plate which was kind of failure.

It was pain in the neck to glue all parts together and it didn't work as i wanted to. So I've redesigned it all and instead I've cut one-piece backplate from plywood.

11763 11764 11765 11766 11767 11768

dynamis_dk
06-03-2014, 12:48 PM
That's an awesome build. Coming from a more PC modding background I've seen a few similar projects for other controls but yours looks very nice.

wiatroda
06-03-2014, 06:26 PM
That's an awesome build. Coming from a more PC modding background I've seen a few similar projects for other controls but yours looks very nice.

Thanks dynamis :)
I plan to make a proper PCB instead of crude wire connections and some enclosure to accommodate control panel, keyboard and monitor.

YYanchev
04-06-2014, 11:19 AM
Hey. Looks great and I think will do an excellent job. I have the following question: how many keys can be programmed with the Arduino?