PDA

View Full Version : Motor / drive wiring problem: help!

lateAtNight
29-04-2009, 11:39 AM
This is driving me nuts. Last night I started wiring up my PSUs, drivers, and motors. All the standard Zapp/MCP kind. Wired everything up as per the diagram provided by MCP. Plugged it in and the PSU has a green light, but the drive has a red one! I have checked my wiring against the note about a hundred times! I tried both series and parallel, tried different drives, different psu. Nothing works!

This is the wiring I am using:

A+: Blue + Red
A-: Blue/white + red/white
B+: Green + Black
B-: Black/white + green/white

Could someone please check the attached pic and tell me what I have done wrong? I have wired these things up before without problem.

Cheers,
Dave.

Lee Roberts
29-04-2009, 01:45 PM
We have seen this problem before, another PSU in parallel with your current PSU should fix the problem.

Let me know what size PSU you’re using and I’ll give you a price, i would also suggest doing the linking at the motor end as well.

lateAtNight
29-04-2009, 07:40 PM
I don't even know if I want to admit this...

But as it turns out the problem was the PSU. One of them is a PS407, the other is a PS705. The 705 is rated at 70 something volts, and the drive only takes something like 48 if I remember correctly.

Anyone want to buy a PS705 unit? :D

Keith: Indeed I am back home, putting the finishing touches to the machine finally :). The phone was flat, again. You mind if I give you a call tonight? Need some advice on setting up mach if thats alright. Also, I'll need a nice thick table with t slots made up. If you interested in a little work.

Dave.