PDA

View Full Version : Pacer 900

burnooot
08-03-2014, 01:17 PM
Hi, looking for some help and advice.
I have just got my hands on a pacer 900 and the main cable from PC board to router table has had forklift damage.
the transport company had monkeys driving the forklift and trapped the cable and ripped it off the mother board.
am looking to find out where I might be able to get a new cable.
the rest of the damage I can deal with.
The monkey's have now had their banana's, and said they didn't do it.:mad:

Also is it a massive task to change and upgrade.......from the original software and pc?
is running on an old Windows 98 PC with 512Gb ram,
think it was Noahs pacer before I got my hands on it :tears_of_joy:.

David.

JAZZCNC
08-03-2014, 04:53 PM
Show us a picture of the ends because chances are it's just a standard parallel port cable.? That doesn't mean you can use standard printer type cable because it could have dedicated pin arrangement to suit the board it connects to but you will be able to buy the ends and make your own cable and copy the pin arrangement of the old one.
If you check the old cable with a continuity meter and the pin layout matches the standard straight thru cables used on CNC machines then you'll be able to buy the cable made up.

Chances are thou Pacer will use Bespoke dedicated control boards with there own pin arrangment but you'll still be able to buy the ends to repair it.

Regards converting then we'd need to know more about what's inside the machine. Pictures of inside the control panel or control box will help along with pics of motors.

burnooot
08-03-2014, 09:16 PM
sounds good, will get some picture's up asap.
the end plugs are ok, they have split 6 or so wires as they pas thru the bulk head of the machine.
and with them all being coloured grey its not a simple patch job. would rather a new cable to keep up signal transfer.
thanks jazzcnc.

EddyCurrent
08-03-2014, 09:21 PM
Is that an AXYZ machine ? they have an office at Wolverhampton.

burnooot
08-03-2014, 09:27 PM
hi Eddy
its and AXYZ , a Pacer 900. I think about 2000 year.
just a small 1 till I get the hang of it.
any advice would be great

EddyCurrent
08-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Well the only thing I was going to say was that as a last resort you could contact them for a new cable, however if it was mine I'd want to repair it for the total cost of nowt.

burnooot
08-03-2014, 09:42 PM
well I would agree with you 100% better no cost at all.
but would rather spend a penny and have it a 110% correct than patched.
if you no what I mean.

JAZZCNC
08-03-2014, 10:43 PM
well I would agree with you 100% better no cost at all.
but would rather spend a penny and have it a 110% correct than patched.
if you no what I mean.

Well I'd repair it then I'd know it was 200% better than new.!! . . . . You have the ends so it should be an easy thing to cut and re-solder or replace the end with new.
How much short would it be if chopped the cable and re-connected the end.? If too short then just replace with new cable.

First thou I'd take a multi meter and check the pins at each end go to same pins on each connector and don't cross over. ie pin1 to pin1
Then if it's a standard 25pin D-sub connector at each end you'll be able to use any normal parallel port cable made for CNC machine that ZAPP automation or any of the other component suppliers sell.

XYZ will probably rip your eyeballs out for the same thing.!!

burnooot
08-03-2014, 11:17 PM
Hi jazzcnc.
yes there should be plenty cable.
I will try this first and see how it goes.

Next big issues.......upgrading the old windows 98 computer.
Do you no if this would be a massive problem?

JAZZCNC
08-03-2014, 11:27 PM
Hi jazzcnc.
yes there should be plenty cable.
I will try this first and see how it goes.

Next big issues.......upgrading the old windows 98 computer.
Do you no if this would be a massive problem?

Probably not but like I say need to see what's making it tick.? . . . . Get us some pictures.

It could be just a simple change of software or possibly simply replacing a custom I/O board for standard breakout board.? . . . . .On the other hand it could have Custom driver board and I/O board which needs 12 or 24V signals in which case it's often easier and cheaper to just rip the electrics out and sart again with modern stuff.
Also to some degree what motors it use's will play part in what's required and that's why I said before pictures of motors.

Take some nice clear pictures from several angles and look for any markings.

gavztheouch
08-03-2014, 11:34 PM
Don't get hung up on changing the old computer until you have to. I have a thermwood from 1998 and I assumed I would need a new control unit to modernise the machine. Once I started using the machine I found the control unit to be as good if not better than mach 3. What makes the biggest difference to how flexible and capable your setup can be is the tool path generation software and the pc you have to run it on.

burnooot
09-03-2014, 12:04 AM
ok first thing Monday I will get on it and get some pictures.
she's a big heavy lump of cnc but hopefully will do for a starting point.
was lucky to get original CD with program on it and operators manual.
thanks again for your advice.
will post pictures asap.

Clive S
09-03-2014, 12:05 AM
sounds good, will get some picture's up asap.
the end plugs are ok, they have split 6 or so wires as they pas thru the bulk head of the machine.
and with them all being coloured grey its not a simple patch job. would rather a new cable to keep up signal transfer.
thanks jazzcnc.Just a thought regarding the grey wires, have you looked at them ie. are they by any chance numbered along the length like cy cable and others. ..Clive

burnooot
09-03-2014, 12:08 AM
will have a look and see. thanks clive.

JAZZCNC
09-03-2014, 12:36 AM
Don't get hung up on changing the old computer until you have to. I have a thermwood from 1998 and I assumed I would need a new control unit to modernise the machine. Once I started using the machine I found the control unit to be as good if not better than mach 3. What makes the biggest difference to how flexible and capable your setup can be is the tool path generation software and the pc you have to run it on.

Agree with Gaz that if it's working and you can load code generated from CAM then your probably creating work for the sake of it and not always for the better.
Some of these Old controls and custom boards have very fast dedicated pulse generators that work better than the parallel port and Mach and to get anywhere near matching them could cost plenty of money buying external motion control cards and still not make it much better.
I would only change if the software is restrictive or difficult to use. Or the machine doesn't meet the speeds you'd like from it and if this is the case then you'll definately be into much more money and work.