PDA

View Full Version : Making a little box

mark84
11-03-2014, 03:56 PM
I was planning on making a little box, kinda only just realised a box (aka finger) joint might have issues with drill bits been cylindrical so I don't think it'll work.
Is there another type of joint I could use instead that's a bit more straight forward to do on a CNC router, I was thinking a groove joint?
Thanks for any advice,
Mark.

IanParkin
11-03-2014, 04:12 PM
A finger joint is made easily with an end mill or router bit

Place your work vertically and cut away 1 diameter of your bit and the thickness of the material deep step along by the diameter and repeat
on the mating part step first and cut away
you need to calculate your length of side so it works out to a full number of fingers

Ian

mark84
11-03-2014, 06:00 PM
That's an interesting idea, I was planning to do this with decent birch plywood, do you think it'd work ok with that?

IanParkin
11-03-2014, 09:01 PM
Yes thats as good a wood as you can get without using a hardwood
I use it extensively for utility boxes
If you can do two at once with a sacrificial backing to avoid breakout

Clive S
11-03-2014, 09:20 PM
I was planning on making a little box, kinda only just realised a box (aka finger) joint might have issues with drill bits been cylindrical so I don't think it'll work.
Is there another type of joint I could use instead that's a bit more straight forward to do on a CNC router, I was thinking a groove joint?
Thanks for any advice,
Mark. Now how about these that I found in the woodworking section:- 50 Digital Wood Joints | Flexible Stream (http://flexiblestream.org/Digital-Wood-Joints-001.php) ..Clive

Wal
11-03-2014, 11:34 PM
Great link, Clive - some really nice stuff on there..!

Wal.