PDA

View Full Version : Is there a specific setting for using a diamond drag tool for engraving?

petesos
13-03-2014, 10:18 AM
Hi All
Does anyone know if there is a specific setting for using a diamond drag tool for engraving on Brass Plate in metric settings .
I want to have a go at Engraving some Brass plate and Aluminium to see if its a viable process .
The drag tool is spring loaded but I am not sure of the feed rate and depth to go to.
I couldnt find any info regarding the settings in past posts on here.
Pete

magicniner
13-03-2014, 09:31 PM
I've not investigated speeds & feeds for Diamond Drag as it copes with a wide range of speeds when using a manual pantograph engraving machine, generally it will manage higher speeds than milling so just give it a go, it's definitely viable.
Attached is a test where the lower case in the smaller text is 1mm high, I didn't set the speed, just left it as BobCad/Cam set it for a .01mm tip V bit cutter and a .1mm DOC.
Experiment on some scrap, the diamond drag cutters are quite robust, I haven't worn one out yet ;-)

- Nick

petesos
13-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Cheers Nick
I know this may sound strange But I am completely in the dark with this diamond drag ,,,,,,Do I let the spindle start up with it in or use it with out the spindle running , any help would be appreciated on this one .
Best Regards
Pete

GEOFFREY
13-03-2014, 10:08 PM
for drag engraving G. do NOT run spindle!!!

magicniner
14-03-2014, 12:22 AM
As Geoffrey says, spindle off.
You can experiment with the amount of spring compression to vary line definition, I had a little too much pressure in my aluminium test block but the text came out well on Titanium,

- Nick