PDA

View Full Version : Open machine shop in Scotland?

gavztheouch
03-04-2014, 08:45 PM
I know of maklab in glasgow and hacklab in aberdeen and edinburgh but I was wondering if there were any workshops open to the public that have a mill like a bridgeport. I need to do some milling for my laser cutter.

When I was staying in the west country there was a collage in a town outside bristol ( I forget the name) that had a hobby course. You could pop in and use the machine shop every wednesday night to work on small projects. I think it was £5-15 for 3 hours and you just supplied the material. I never got round to using the shop and now im back in central scotland. Was wondering if anyone knew of anything similer.

ramsbury
03-04-2014, 09:18 PM
I know of maklab in glasgow and hacklab in aberdeen and edinburgh but I was wondering if there were any workshops open to the public that have a mill like a bridgeport. I need to do some milling for my laser cutter.

When I was staying in the west country there was a collage in a town outside bristol ( I forget the name) that had a hobby course. You could pop in and use the machine shop every wednesday night to work on small projects. I think it was £5-15 for 3 hours and you just supplied the material. I never got round to using the shop and now im back in central scotland. Was wondering if anyone knew of anything similer.

I didn't even Know these places existed. Thank you for this Im an Hour away from Bristol.

AndyGuid
04-04-2014, 10:34 AM
If you were downunder, I would suggest trying your local Mens-Shed, but I've just discovered that Blighty is only just catching on to that brilliant Aussie invention called the Mens-Shed-Association, as can be seen at UK Men's Sheds Association - UK Men's Sheds Association - Shed Profiles (http://www.menssheds.org.uk/index.php/shed-profiles) . There is a shed listed called Edinburgh Macmerry Men’s Shed, but it's still very young; it may not yet have milling machinery and the like; and the locals may be more interested in "oiling" themselves than oiling machinery....... if my late Dad was the stereotypical Scot ;-)

EddyCurrent
04-04-2014, 10:57 AM
Good post Andy, I never knew this existed !