PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone extraction

gorbo
11-04-2014, 07:54 PM
12049 I have built a Cyclone type system for my workshop, the fan is from Machine mart and the cone is a traffic cone, I have used 100mm pipe throughout with blast gates at each machine, I have to say the system works fantastic the Cyclone extracts 80% of the saw dust with the rest going outside, John

george uk
11-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Ha ha , that looks ace, it doesn't look like a dust/chip extractor, it looks like a chemical extraction unit. :onthego:

gavztheouch
11-04-2014, 08:37 PM
Nice setup, funny enough I was thinking of starting a similar thread. I built a cyclone system last year and now I don't know how I could do without it. I catch over 99% of dust in the cyclone, very satisfiying build.

Lee Roberts
11-04-2014, 09:06 PM
Nice setup, funny enough I was thinking of starting a similar thread. I built a cyclone system last year and now I don't know how I could do without it. I catch over 99% of dust in the cyclone, very satisfiying build.

Would be nice to observe :).

firetrappe
12-04-2014, 01:24 PM
That's pretty cool! It looks nice and compact too.

I've been looking at dust collection options to put in my small shed where my cnc router will live. At the moment I just have an old Henry vacuum cleaner that I use for general cleaning.

I think i'll need something a bit better once I start cutting MDF, FR4 and foam. Certainly something with a HEPA filter to remove the nasty airborne particles.

What is the noise level like of the Machine Mart fan compared to normal domestic vacuum cleaner? I would assume it is quieter.

I'm not sure in my case i'd exhaust the fan outside, I would imagine it would suck all the warm air out of the shed pretty quickly.

Regarding cyclones, i've read some good reviews of a product the Dust Deputy by a firm called Oneida in the US. They aren't sold in the UK, but there's an equivalent sold on Ebay called the Dust Mite DUST MITE - Dust Cyclone | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUST-MITE-Dust-Cyclone-/221392845493?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item338c0abab5&nma=true&si=uP%252FhTWubFmeA8t%252BTnxGC3rPyp%252Bk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557) which looks quite good as an 'off the shelf' solution.

Si.

gorbo
12-04-2014, 03:03 PM
That's pretty cool! It looks nice and compact too.

I've been looking at dust collection options to put in my small shed where my cnc router will live. At the moment I just have an old Henry vacuum cleaner that I use for general cleaning.

I think i'll need something a bit better once I start cutting MDF, FR4 and foam. Certainly something with a HEPA filter to remove the nasty airborne particles.

What is the noise level like of the Machine Mart fan compared to normal domestic vacuum cleaner? I would assume it is quieter.

I'm not sure in my case i'd exhaust the fan outside, I would imagine it would suck all the warm air out of the shed pretty quickly.

Regarding cyclones, i've read some good reviews of a product the Dust Deputy by a firm called Oneida in the US. They aren't sold in the UK, but there's an equivalent sold on Ebay called the Dust Mite DUST MITE - Dust Cyclone | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUST-MITE-Dust-Cyclone-/221392845493?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item338c0abab5&nma=true&si=uP%252FhTWubFmeA8t%252BTnxGC3rPyp%252Bk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557) which looks quite good as an 'off the shelf' solution.

Si.

Noise level is quite low I can hold a normal conversation in the Workshop,
I looked at dust deputy's and decided to build my own at zero cost on the idea that if it worked great if it did not then buy one.
The outside pipe at the moment goes to air it will go to a external box to catch any fine particles.
if I had kept it inside I would have had to put filters on the exhaust this would of decreased flow this way, yes I am loosing a bit of heat but I have a good heater

One thing I am not happy with is the flex pipework, this need to be changed to solid smooth bore pipe to increase the flow efficiency.

gavztheouch
17-04-2014, 05:11 PM
Would be nice to observe :).

She needs a lot of tidying up, but for now it works good
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g282/Gavztheouch/WP_000016_zps58d782f3.jpg

Lee Roberts
17-04-2014, 05:36 PM
Nice Gav I think ill nock one up when the time comes, theres quite a few nocking about the net, they all seem to work quite well...