PDA

View Full Version : I need to build a tube profiling machine

Paulgy80
12-04-2014, 10:37 PM
I have been asked by a customer to come up with a way of CNC profiling small to medium size thin wall tubes created in Solidworks. Most of the profiling will be the ends ready for welding but some will be mid tube for access holes. If anybody knows of a machine that will do it so save reinventing the wheel please shout failing that any ideas would be really appreciated.

TIA

Paul

JAZZCNC
13-04-2014, 10:38 AM
You don't say what you plan to cut with.? Plasma, laser, Flame, End mill.? . . . . Just look on youtube and there are plenty of CNC Tube notchers, mostly use plasma cutters. Building one would be easy it's just two linear axis and one rotary axis movement.
I think your biggest problem will come from the CAM software side and coordinating the axis to move together in away that suits Pipe cutting.? You may need to do some post processing on the outputted code.

Paulgy80
13-04-2014, 12:37 PM
You don't say what you plan to cut with.? Plasma, laser, Flame, End mill.? . . . . Just look on youtube and there are plenty of CNC Tube notchers, mostly use plasma cutters. Building one would be easy it's just two linear axis and one rotary axis movement.
I think your biggest problem will come from the CAM software side and coordinating the axis to move together in away that suits Pipe cutting.? You may need to do some post processing on the outputted code.

Hi Jazz

sorry for poor info.

I would prefer a 1/8" end mill, cheap and lo tech from an operational stand point. The unit will need to handle up to 24 foot lengths and the software getting best cut from those lengths, would be nice to have a bar feed type setup so work could be programmed in and left lights out to carry on working. What I need is not a hobby piece of kit but very much a production tool. I have seen some CAM software floating about and would certainly talk to our current CAM supplier Onecnc in the first instance, the software is about for the big laser cutting boys so it's out there.

really appreciate any thoughts

paul

Fenza
13-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Hey Paul, have a look on youtube for this type of machine. 5 axis plasma machines seem to be the most common I've seen.

Plasma or laser would probably be the best for this type of work I'd imagine and that's the only form I've seen.

Youtube actually has some really useful info on there nowadays, It's often my first stop when researching sonething new :D

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Fenza