PDA

View Full Version : 2.5d Probing

m_c
05-05-2014, 01:20 PM
Going to take this discussion/build to a forum that doesn't continually play with site settings.

Ger21
05-05-2014, 02:31 PM
This might be useful.
Probe-It! Mach3 Wizard | Crafty CNC (http://www.craftycnc.com/probe-it-wizard-mach3/)

m_c
05-05-2014, 10:09 PM
Thanks for that Gerry, it looks pretty much ideal for what I'm aiming to do.
I just need something suitable running Mach3 now, as my only currently functioning mill does't run Mach!

cropwell
26-04-2018, 11:05 PM
First - I know this is an old thread, but it says what I want to do.

I need to do a contour map of an object and reproduce it in wood. It does not have to be accurate to the angstrom. I am trying to make a wooden insole for a shoe, so a 'bed of nails' digitisation would be OK and probably a 2mm grid would be fine enough.

I would start with a plaster cast of the foot and then 'scan' it, before putting it through software to end up with Gcode.

My probe is yet to be made, but I have about 20 4mm square 'pills' of QTC (Quantum Tunnelling Compound) and one of them could make a Z axis probe switch.

So I am relying on the forum to give me some ideas, is there any bolt-on software to Mach3? (does Probe-it fit the bill or is there anything better on my virtually zero budget?).

Help please :thumsup:

m_c
26-04-2018, 11:14 PM
Probe-It is ideal for contouring, but it doesn't really do Z digitising other than for basic probing for establishing heights.

If a bed of nails approach would work for you, then Mach already has a free bed of nails digitising wizard included.

cropwell
27-04-2018, 08:39 AM
Mach already has a free bed of nails digitising wizard included.

It just demonstrates to me what a narrow subset of knowledge I have about Mach3. I will investigate today. Thanks m_c.

phill05
27-04-2018, 08:51 AM
First - I know this is an old thread, but it says what I want to do.

I need to do a contour map of an object and reproduce it in wood. It does not have to be accurate to the angstrom. I am trying to make a wooden insole for a shoe, so a 'bed of nails' digitisation would be OK and probably a 2mm grid would be fine enough.

I would start with a plaster cast of the foot and then 'scan' it, before putting it through software

I don't know if this would help you but I take an image of an item within a known size box or put a ruler in the shot, save in grey scale import it into Vetric Aspire and produce a 3d map you can also produce vector outline's of the imprint to clean up the imprint, save as STL file create the toolpaths save as G-code and away you go.
But as plaster is white you might have to colour the imprint a little to get best results.

Phill

cropwell
27-04-2018, 09:07 AM
I don't know if this would help you but I take an image of an item within a known size box or put a ruler in the shot, save in grey scale import it into Vetric Aspire and produce a 3d map you can also produce vector outline's of the imprint to clean up the imprint, save as STL file create the toolpaths save as G-code and away you go.
But as plaster is white you might have to colour the imprint a little to get best results.

Phill

Thanks Phill, but I don't have Vectric Aspire, and as I am only a 'poor old pensioner:sorrow::sorrow:' It is out of my budget. If I were using a non-contact digitising method, then I would use alginate to make the cast.