PDA

View Full Version : Laser Machine Eye protection

Want2build1
16-05-2014, 04:27 PM
ok, to make it easier for people to get info in the future, I'll start another thread here about eye protection for lasers cutting

I think everyone should know the laser can blind you instantly, worst case direct, but reflected or scattered beam can be just as bad.

I recenty bought a 50w 30cmx50cm Chinese machine.

There are no safety features on any of the panels that open !
That includes the tube panel, and the cutting area lid.

I double check the laser is powered down before opening anything.

With this in mind ... who has safety goggles ?

It's not mentioned in the manual, or on any forums I've read through so far ?
I don't get it ?

I've seen varying prices from £30 to £hundreds for the far infrared range laser spec of our machines

How do you know if the cheap ones work ? untill it's too late !

I thought about getting a pair, and seeing if I could cut paper, with the goggles between the beam and the paper ? would this prove anything ?

So, has anyone got any they use ?
How much and from where ?

any other views on this, please reply :)

Isaac
16-05-2014, 06:19 PM
I use poundland safety goggles. To test they work put a thermal receipt behind goggles into front of the unfocused beam :)

Web Goblin
16-05-2014, 08:42 PM
I remember having this discussion with someone before and I certainly wouldn't trust cheap safety glasses to protect my eyes. The one I use at work cost around £350 I think and will protect my eyesight from a direct strike from the laser, which is 3KW co2.
The question is "How much is your eyesight worth?" I would look in to getting the correct glasses for your machine while you still can.
Anyway Planetside2 is calling. "Live free in the NC"

Want2build1
18-05-2014, 04:07 PM
so there we have both opposite ends of the scale !
Which obviously doesn't help !

I did consider the statements I have read about acrylic being a good laser block, hence they use it for the viewing window in the lid ? .. but then, acrylic also cuts like butter when you want it to !

Anyone else ?

Isaac
18-05-2014, 04:23 PM
Acrylic cuts with a focused beam, which unless you look at the lens, at the perfect focal point it wont cut. Which will be impossible unless you try too! Even then you will have to move relatively slow with a 40w tube.

Want2build1
18-05-2014, 04:37 PM
I see the theory :)
So why do laser goggles cost so much ?
Is there a power rating system ?
I wear acrylic/perspex safety goggle alot in the workshop for woodworking .. I night test them :)

btw, I have a couple of questions for you on the other thread :)

Isaac
18-05-2014, 05:29 PM
Goggles usually cost so much because they're for different wavelengths that don't get stopped as easily as 1060nm wavelengths. If you're going to trust the lid acrylic you'll be fine with cheap eyewear as long as it wraps around or covers.

I will check the thread now :)

Web Goblin
19-05-2014, 06:30 AM
If I remember correctly EN207 is the standard document for laser safety glasses. This explains what you need to know about laser safety glasses.

Want2build1
19-05-2014, 08:16 AM
Thanks WG .. from that.. a couple of links for those interested...EN 207 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EN_207)
Laser safety - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety)

Robin Hewitt
19-05-2014, 10:29 AM
You have to wonder what the goggles are going to do with the 40W they are blocking?

Want2build1
19-05-2014, 11:05 AM
according to the wiki, they have to block it for 10 seconds I think, so I guess as long as they don't burn through in that time, then you get to keep on seeing

Web Goblin
19-05-2014, 01:46 PM
I think the withstand time is 10 seconds. Some glasses absorb the incoming beam and others reflect and scatter the beam.