PDA

View Full Version : Preventing rust on machine tools

gavztheouch
25-05-2014, 01:05 PM
Hi, I have just bought a nice turrent mill with zero rust. Problem is I am storing/using it in a leaky old tin clad shed, no isulation or heating so I am worried about rust. My router is suffering the same fate, so I really need to protect them better. Would a nice warm fleece blanket flung over the top with a tarp over that suffice?

Graham Stabler
25-05-2014, 02:05 PM
A warm blanket is only warm because it keeps the heat in but a machine in a shed will get really cold and once it does the blanket will only change the rate at which it changes temperature.

Covering from leaks is obviously a no brainer but to keep it dry you need a source of heat, some people just put a light bulb inside the machine and cover. In that case the insulation would help.

Another option is something like boeshield which is a rust protection spray. Or maybe improve the shed or make a shed within the shed from foam?

Cheers,

Graham

mekanik
25-05-2014, 02:22 PM
Hi Graham
I got a 10W heater from Farnel
Never got round to fitting it,but if you make a box type structure from polystyrene foam it should keep the condensation under control.
Mike

Jonathan
25-05-2014, 02:23 PM
Oil it regularly.

mekanik
25-05-2014, 02:30 PM
If you can't get Boeshield, Felder do something called metal glanze, i use this on my Robland combi and it's good stuff, think Felder say it lasts for upto 6 month so that should see you through the winter.
Mike

gavztheouch
25-05-2014, 02:49 PM
Condesation is definetly the killer, on cold mornings that warm up quickly my router sometimes looks like it has been power washed. :(

Can you spray boesheild on collets and other parts that need gripping surfaces?

Does Boesheild need to be cleaned off when the machine is in use as I have heard it becomes gummy?

longy
25-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Oil it regularly. I agree with Jonathan or spray everything with WD40 as it helps to displace moisture and lubricates at the same time.

Graham Stabler
25-05-2014, 03:27 PM
WD40 is good for free seized parts and cleaning and that's about it, it is not much of a rust preventer or lubricant, it just sort of vanishes.

Boesheild is sort of waxy so I have also read people complain about it, I would not use it on a table saw top because you run wood on it but on a machine tool it is good to protect everything that is not already lubricated, it's especially good when you put something away in storage or for parts that are hard to oil.

Not sure about putting it on collets, you can have oil on collets so I don't see why not.

Graham

mekanik
25-05-2014, 05:43 PM
The Felder stuff doesn't leave any residue, i only remove it on my planner table as it would contaminate the wood. I would imagine you could just give your machine a quick wipe, oil the bedways and off you go.
Mike

magicniner
04-06-2014, 09:51 PM
A cover that reaches the floor with about a 15W heater under there should do the job nicely, I've successfully used a 15W bulb wired up in an earthed biscuit tin to protect equipment at risk of condensation,
Regards,
Nick

bikepete
05-06-2014, 12:16 PM
I used an offcut of trace heating cable years ago when my lathe was in an uninsulated shed: feed it inside/around the machine and it delivers gentle heat... e.g.

trace heating cable | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/?_nkw=trace%20heating%20cable)

... but TBH the only real solution is to insulate the heck out of the building rather than mess around with half measures on the tools themselves. Makes for a much more pleasant working environment too, and insulation also doubles as sound insulation so the neighbours won't complain.

gavztheouch
05-06-2014, 02:27 PM
Anyone use this, seems reasonably priced?

Corrosion Preventative | Rust Proof Machinery | Lathes Mills (http://www.warco.co.uk/lubricants-neatcut-cutting-oil/303008-corrosion-preventative-anti-rust-oil.html)