PDA

View Full Version : Driver switching OFF

manofgresley
02-06-2014, 03:10 PM
Hi all.

Just started to configure my CNC milling machine with Mach 3. When i turn the computer ON, everything seems fine, all 3 of my M542 drivers have a Green led Lit. When i click on to my Mach 3 desktop icon, and the PC begins to boot up the Arcsoft software, the 3, M542 Green Led's drop out, no matter what i do in the config pages in Mach3 they never come on again, does anyone know what i am doing wrong?

Ray

IanParkin
02-06-2014, 04:25 PM
are you pressing reset on the mach3? as when mach 3 is tripped my drivers go out

manofgresley
02-06-2014, 04:31 PM
are you pressing reset on the mach3? as when mach 3 is tripped my drivers go out
When Mach 3 starts, the M542's are already out, resetting the e stop in Mach 3 does nothing.

george uk
02-06-2014, 04:36 PM
try ports and pins setting, make sure the settings are correct to your instruction, also, check the high/low setting on there after each setting. Had this problem setting up years ago, think i remeber the solution correctly

phill05
02-06-2014, 04:42 PM
Think you should be starting Mach before you start machine

JAZZCNC
02-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Ray Do you have the enable pins connected.? If so then either set the correct pins in mach ports & pins or disconnect from drives to be sure.

Doesn't matter if Mach is started first or not but if not setup correctly then the drives won't respond. The fact it's turning off lights leads me to think you have the enable pins connected and this cutting the drive signals.!

manofgresley
03-06-2014, 04:21 PM
Ray Do you have the enable pins connected.? If so then either set the correct pins in mach ports & pins or disconnect from drives to be sure.

Doesn't matter if Mach is started first or not but if not setup correctly then the drives won't respond. The fact it's turning off lights leads me to think you have the enable pins connected and this cutting the drive signals.!

Hi Jazz,

Sorry, what do you mean by "enabled pins connected" i thought this is what io was supposed to do.

I am following the instructions to the letter, but nothing seems to work, how do i find out what pins go to where ? i'm getting confused now.

Ray

george uk
03-06-2014, 04:58 PM
On your mach 3 , you have settings called ports and pins. Can you do a screenshot of that, pluss a copy of the setup instructions that deal with ports and pin settings. that should help

JAZZCNC
03-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Ray the enable pins on the drive do exactly that they Enable or Disable the drive output signals. It's common for these pins to be left unconnected but if you do want to use them then you must set the correct pin in Mach3 outputs and set the correct Active state so it activates the Enable on the drive.

To test this then just disconnect the Enable pin at the drive. If the motor output pins are set correct then the motors will move. The motors won't move unless you have set the correct pins in Motor outputs that correspond with those on your breakout board. We can't tell you which pins to use without knowing the breakout board make and model.

JAZZCNC
03-06-2014, 05:41 PM
Just realised you may not know what I mean by enable pin.? On the M542 this will be labeled Ena+ Ena-. Disconnect these pins.

manofgresley
04-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Ray the enable pins on the drive do exactly that they Enable or Disable the drive output signals. It's common for these pins to be left unconnected but if you do want to use them then you must set the correct pin in Mach3 outputs and set the correct Active state so it activates the Enable on the drive.

To test this then just disconnect the Enable pin at the drive. If the motor output pins are set correct then the motors will move. The motors won't move unless you have set the correct pins in Motor outputs that correspond with those on your breakout board. We can't tell you which pins to use without knowing the breakout board make and model.
Hi

My Bob is a ZP5A - INT from ZAPP.
Ray

JAZZCNC
04-06-2014, 11:01 PM
Hi

My Bob is a ZP5A - INT from ZAPP.
Ray

Ray do you have wires going to the Ena + Ena- on the drives.? First port of call is removing these to see if motors work. Removing won't damage anything so don't worry about that it's just an easy way to check.

manofgresley
05-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Hi Jazz

I had i minor wiring fault, i had not stripped the insulation back far enough on one cable therefore there was no contact. Since i corrected this, all 3 of my motors now move, my Z & X axis are ok the drive that did not work yesterday now chatters when i select it on the toggle, i have checked the dip switches, they are set to 4.2 amp, any more ideas?

My Ena + & Ena - were connected, i have disconnected them.

manofgresley
06-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Hi all.

Many thanks to all you people who have given me advice, my CNC MILL is now "HOMING"
Regards

Ray