PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: Hi everyone

eamo1978
17-06-2014, 08:25 AM
Just though id say hi, Im Eamonn and am new to the forum. I did my apprenticeship in cnc milling and stopped at the same place for twelve years before going on to operate cnc lathes and then work in a cam office on nx and vericut for a year. Am now working as a manufacturing/cam engineer using solidcam and solidworks on which ive had next to zero training so hopefully over time i can have a few questions answered on here and maybe even help someone too.

corkcnc
17-06-2014, 11:20 PM
Just though id say hi, Im Eamonn and am new to the forum. I did my apprenticeship in cnc milling and stopped at the same place for twelve years before going on to operate cnc lathes and then work in a cam office on nx and vericut for a year. Am now working as a manufacturing/cam engineer using solidcam and solidworks on which ive had next to zero training so hopefully over time i can have a few questions answered on here and maybe even help someone too.

Hi Eamonn,
Shout away if you have any questions on SW or SC. To be honest though your best bet is get a laptop and sit down next to a workstation with SW on it. Then go onto youtube and look up Solidworks tutorials and go through the tutorials one after another. Watch a minute or so, then do the task on your workstation and pause and rewind if you don't get it first time. Most tutorials are about 10 mins and the first 30 will give you 90% of the stuff you need so you can get up to speed over a weekend no problem.
Similarly Solidcam professor is quite good for learning SC.
SW and SC are excellent programs but they can break your heart at times if you only know 50% of the programs. Deleting entities that are related to others can cause problems that need experience to spot so as you are starting off, save very regularly and you can always close and reopen at the last saved point if you hit a spot of bother. (which you will, trust me).
I still use the tutorials at times to refresh myself if I need to do something out of the ordinary but in general you will only get proficient in both packages by experience.
Best of luck with it,
Noel.

eamo1978
18-06-2014, 09:02 AM
Thanks mate, I have been looking on the net etc. The training I was promised in my new job hasn't materialised.

gavztheouch
18-06-2014, 09:12 AM
I second the youtube tutorial Idea, I have had proffesional training inside work but I alway found the youtube videos to be just as helpfull if not better. Soildworks is a thing of beauty in terms of how easy it is to use. Within a week you can do most operations you need to build a basic model.