PDA

View Full Version : Buying my first cnc

Martin808
01-07-2014, 10:35 PM
Hi. I'm new here. I've spent the last few months going round in circles between these forums, ebay and all the cnc sellers I can find.

I'm in the market for a cnc router. I ideally need a 1200x1200 machine, it's for cutting wood and plywood mainly. For various different projects. I've had a few prices direct from china and I'm not sure what to go for or even where to start with regards to spindle speeds, controller software, etc. and what Chinese manufacturers are the better ones and which ones to avoid.

my budget is around £3,000. Will I be able to get something around this price? I understand importing from china has extra complications with shipping and tax. How hard is all this?

Am i as well trying to find something second hand that is already in the uk?

any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

GEOFFREY
02-07-2014, 09:15 AM
Hi Martin, I do not think that you will be able to buy a new 1200x1200 machine within your budget. You may be able to find an older machine that is already in the UK (I bought an older sign-makers machine for £1500 a few years ago), but please be very cautious if it is "located" in the Scottish highlands/islands as there are many scammers about on ebay. I only buy things where I can pay cash on collection and arrange my own collection now after nearly falling victim to such a scheme. Good luck with your search. G.

george uk
02-07-2014, 09:33 AM
Hi there

starting at around 3k ( sometimes cheeper, ) you can pick up high end industrial machines if you have the space. both on ebay and bid spotter. You just need lots of space, and to be able to run or convert them on 3phaze. Ideal if you dont mind servicing them.