PDA

View Full Version : Full Machine Design/Display

Lee Roberts
13-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Hi
I’ve been thru various programs looking at them all; they have only been the demo programs.

What I would like to know is what programs you use to design in?

I don’t want a program that I can use to design 2d parts as I’m happy with cut 2d for now from vectric in the UK.

What I would like to do is “put” all the parts I have designed together as one machine in the software like I’ve seen you guys doing.

This is what I would like to do:

http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/photoplog/images/2/medium/1_Router_20front_204-5-09.jpg

Could you be so kind as to point me in the right direction please?

Thanks,
Lee

BillTodd
13-05-2009, 10:52 PM
Solidworks is one of the best albeit at an horrendous price (be a pirate or pretend to be a student ? ).

That picture looks like it sketch-up, probably the pro/paid-for version (The free version of sketch-up is too limited - in my view).

Gary
13-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Solid works is what to use.
I also have a few tutorial dvds as well, if you need a copy ;)

Lee Roberts
13-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Hi Gary, sorry but I simply can’t afford soildworks.

NB70
14-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Solidworks is one of the best albeit at an horrendous price (be a pirate or pretend to be a student ? ).

That picture looks like it sketch-up, probably the pro/paid-for version (The free version of sketch-up is too limited - in my view).

I wrote a free plugin that gives you DXF and STL output from the free version of Sketchup,
http://www.guitar-list.com/download-software/convert-sketchup-skp-files-dxf-or-stl

Nathan

Tom
14-05-2009, 06:27 PM
What I would like to know is what programs you use to design in?

Lee, very flattered that you picked the image of my router!

I use the free version of Google Sketchup (http://sketchup.google.com/). Sketchup is a great! It's not engineering software, but you can change the default accuracy from 1mm to 0.01mm which helps. It's amazing for free! :-)

"Components" are the best. Every copy of a component in the model will change when you edit just one of them. Want to add a chamfer to a bearing that appears 50 times in your model? 60seconds of work! :-)

I wrote a free plugin that gives you DXF and STL output from the free version of Sketchup,
Nathan - THANKYOU so much for the sketchup plugin. I was about to start learning to use the emachineshop CAD program to generate dxf files, but no need now! I'll install it and have a play at the weekend...

Cheers!

BillTodd
14-05-2009, 07:25 PM
I use the free version of Google Sketchup
Congratulations :)

When I last played with the freeby version of sketch-up I couldn't find a way to directly enter dimensions (so soon got fed up trying to make the object a known size). Has the latest version some means of entering sizes directly?

Tom
14-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Yep,

Draw a line (clicking on the end point as well as the start), then type the length you want, hit return and the line will re-size itself. Same works with a rectangle, but use a comma between the axes.

I usually make the initial line / rectangle obviously wrong so that I can see that the dimensions have definitely moved.

Lee Roberts
14-05-2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks Tom i will go and download these as soon as i'v got done here, 40 new posts in half a day. The sites coming along great !

John S
15-05-2009, 12:02 AM
Alibre do a free 3D modeller called Express.
It's a cut down version of their paid version with some features missing.
Main limitation is you can only assemble a limited amount of components,
Hint save three or 4 components to a new file and it's then treated as one.

Not bad for free.

John S.

Lee Roberts
15-05-2009, 12:30 AM
Thanks John will check it out!

Tom
29-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Lee, you've not been around much the last week or so... How are your designs coming on?

Lee Roberts
29-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Hi Tom,

I have been here just not been posting much, i havnt downloaded the programs as of yet but i will !

I'v been designing parts for machine 2, ballnut holder, axis plates and so on. I will be starting a buld log for the new machine soon, i'm just getting a few things done first so i have got stuff to show when i do start the build log as it will be an on going project over an unsaid amount of time. Money and attention to detail being the 2 big resons why it will take awhile. ;)