PDA

View Full Version : Plcm-e4

Tumblebeer
13-07-2014, 08:29 PM
I'm currently trying to decide what motion controller/BOB combo I'm going to use for my new router build.
I'm going with 3 axis, dual stepper on x-axis, so I need slaving and at least one extra axis to add a 3d printer addon (I know, not the best 3d printer).

I can't really decide what to get at the moment, probably leaning toward either an ESS + some random BOB or a PLCM-E3 with some BOB (currently undecided). ESS is hard to get in EU though.
Lo and behold, I then stumble upon a board called PLCM-E4 on purelogics site. It appears to be a slightly slimmed down version of the E3, but with a BOB integrated.
http://www.purelogic.ru/files/downloads/doc/Controller/PLCM-E4.pdf + google translate works pretty good.

What do you think? Should I send an email to Purelogic, see if I can buy it?

Or, should I get a PLCM-E3, if so what BOB should I get?
http://www.zappautomation.co.uk/electrical-products/breakout-boards/plcm-b1-breakout-board.html looks like it's both the B1 bob and an E3 if I go by the pictures and the price tag, but the description is rather vague. Does this include the E3?

I realise this is a bit of a ramble, but I'm rather confused at the moment, trying to decide what to get. Cost is a bit of a concern, and I wouldn't want to spend as much on a bob as I do on the motion controller as it seems like some people do.

Any tips?

JAZZCNC
13-07-2014, 09:31 PM
I realise this is a bit of a ramble, but I'm rather confused at the moment, trying to decide what to get. Cost is a bit of a concern, and I wouldn't want to spend as much on a bob as I do on the motion controller as it seems like some people do.

Any tips?

Don't short cut the BOB esp with a Motion control card. BOB's are the single biggest bottleneck and pain in the arse if poor quality.

I'd enquire about the E4 but got a feeling it's still in R&D.

The B1 is just a BOB but it's designed to take full advantage of the E3 and allows full use of all the I/O. It's essentially 2 Bob's in one with PWM spindle control.
If you don't need all the I/O the E3 provides then you can get away with just using the PLC6x or the PLC4x-G2. The G2 provides PWM spindle control the 6x doesn't.

If your going for the ESS then I'd strongly suggest you go for the PMDX126.

Neale
13-07-2014, 11:00 PM
I was getting a bit confused about this as well, when I was looking at the Zapp site earlier (and especially as I haven't found decent English documentation for these devices). Thanks for the additional info.
One more question, though - when these boards talk about PWM spindle speed control, I am assuming that they have some kind of PWM->true analogue converter on board, which takes a PWM speed signal from Mach3 and gives a 0-10V (usually) signal that connects directly to the VFD. Is that right? Nothing else needed for Mach3 spindle speed control?

- Brian

JAZZCNC
13-07-2014, 11:11 PM
Nothing else needed for Mach3 spindle speed control?

Yep that's correct just set mach3 to output PWM and away you go.!

gregors
23-02-2020, 06:46 PM
first, hi and sorry to bring up a old post,i brought one of these and im yet to connect it up. I am a little confused as to were the step,dir enable are on this board,do i just pick which ever?
regards

JAZZCNC
23-02-2020, 09:33 PM
first, hi and sorry to bring up a old post,i brought one of these and im yet to connect it up. I am a little confused as to were the step,dir enable are on this board,do i just pick which ever?
regards

Do you have a breakout board with it.? If yes which one.

Don't connect directly to the motion controller because you could damage it.

gregors
23-02-2020, 10:26 PM
it came with this, im guessing i connect the steppers driver through the virtual lpt then27440

JAZZCNC
23-02-2020, 11:52 PM
it came with this, im guessing i connect the steppers driver through the virtual lpt then27440

That's just a DB25 terminal block. You really need a proper breakout board that offers some signal isolation to protect the controller. The breakout board will also provide a few other features like Spindle speed controller and relay.

It's been a while since I used the PLCM-e4 so I've forgotten exactly what it provides regards input/outputs etc but think i'm correct in saying to get full use you'll need either dedicated board that offers enough I/O to make full use or will need 2 or more standard breakout boards.

I'll see if can find the manual to refresh my memory.!

gregors
24-02-2020, 01:49 PM
That's just a DB25 terminal block. You really need a proper breakout board that offers some signal isolation to protect the controller. The breakout board will also provide a few other features like Spindle speed controller and relay.

It's been a while since I used the PLCM-e4 so I've forgotten exactly what it provides regards input/outputs etc but think i'm correct in saying to get full use you'll need either dedicated board that offers enough I/O to make full use or will need 2 or more standard breakout boards.

I'll see if can find the manual to refresh my memory.!

https://purelogic.ru/data/docs/elektronika_chpu/cnc_controller_plcm-e4_user_manual_en.pdf

link to the manual, to be honist i just wanted a all in one type board, if theis gets to confusing i might just get rid and buy a CSMIO/IP-M type

Doddy
24-02-2020, 08:54 PM
Firstly, I'll admit to being cautious to reply - because if you have to ask the question then you clearly are less than confident with what you're doing - don't take that the wrong way.

Jazz is mostly right - however I think you can afford to skip a few of the nice-to-haves. You can use the Port#1 outputs to directly drive your stepper drivers - the drivers pretty much all have Opto Isolated inputs, so the risk of damage is limited to getting your wiring correct in the first place. The Russian manual is shite - there's no specification for the buffered outputs but lets assume that they can source 20mA at 5V - then designate yourself the step/dir for each axis (chose just one to start with!) and configure Mach accordingly, and wire the output to the driver step+ / dir+ inputs (two, one for each) and ground the step- / dir- inputs on the driver.

For inputs (limit switches etc) I wouldn't use the Port#1 inputs directly without a BoB, for Jazz's reason of isolation - but then the main board has 16 isolated inputs that you can use - go for them. You also have a 0-10V output for the spindle analogue input and any of 8 relays to help control the spindle & other bits. Plenty to go at. To answer your original question - yes, you have to define the mapping of step/dirs yourself to the port #1 outputs. Leave the EN's open for now on the stepper drivers.

JAZZCNC
24-02-2020, 10:05 PM
Jazz is mostly right - however I think you can afford to skip a few of the nice-to-haves.

Ok after looking at the manual they have changed this board completely, the original PLCM-E4 that I used is completely different regards I/O and didn't have any isolated inputs or relays etc.

So Doddy is correct you have everything you need, you just need to connect up to the right places. If your not sure where those right places are then don't turn it on until you have checked with us.

Regards the Step+/Dir+ then you simply connect to the outputs on Port #1 then assign the output in software for each ie:

X-Step + = Out # 1 port #1
X-Dir + = Out # 2 port #1
X-Enable + = Out # 3 port #1
Y-Step + = Out # 4 port #1
Y-Dir + = Out # 5 port #1
Y-Enable + = Out # 6 port #1
Z-Step + = Out # 7 port #1
Z-Dir + = Out # 8 port #1
Z-Enable + = Out # 9 port #1

Connect Drive negative pins wired in parallel to any GND pin on port #1

However, like Doddy says you could just leave the enables unconnected to save outputs or to save pins just use one Output to enable all the drives.

gregors
24-02-2020, 11:20 PM
thanks for the info helps clear things up a bit, as for the comment for " clearly are less than confident with what you're doing" then no offence is taken as am not that confident with this board, i have wired up a chinese cheapo thing before but that had clear dir/step/enable pins
i will post pictures etc up once wired up success or failed as reference for others

Purelogic R&D
25-02-2020, 08:40 AM
Hello,
JazzCNC and Doddy provide with right pieces of advice!
The LTP port doesn't contain an optocoupler.
It is better to connect a BOB with optical isolation.
For example, PLC4x-G2(please see its English manual https://purelogic.ru/data/docs/elektronika_chpu/stepmotor_controller_plc4x_g2_interfeys_lpt_user_m anual_en.pdf )
Also please see the new English manual for PLCM-E4 http://pumotix.com/upload/iblock/26a/26a3fe554f5e2bf4b67b2030004d074b.pdf
please keep in mind that having such a controller, you can get basic features of our software http://pumotix.com/ .

Doddy
25-02-2020, 05:25 PM
Hello,

As an end-user (not of your kit - at least not yet) - can I offer some insight into the documentation provided.

To understand the interfacing requirements it would be very useful to offer equivalent-circuits in your documentation for each class of input and output.

* Opto-isolated inputs - what series resistor have you used?, what's the maximum forward current of the LED?
* Buffered outputs - what's the source/sink current capability? are the drivers open source/collector? What's the output voltage - e.g. referenced to a local 5V regulator?
* Relay outputs - what is the switching current?, AC/DC max switching voltage?
* Non-buffered inputs - what's the switching characteristics?, any pull-ups, pull-downs?, can they be left open circuit?, minimum "high" input, maximum "low" input.

The above helps a lot in trying to design around your boards - I was surprised not to be able to easily find that basic information out.

gregors
02-03-2020, 08:14 PM
starting to give up will connect using pure motion/pumotix but can not even get the card to show in mach3,wondering what im doing wrong i fi see a cslabs board going at a good price i think ill cut my losses. im sure this would be great if i could get it tow work

tried ip addresses etc even turned fire wall of2747227473

Purelogic R&D
05-03-2020, 08:56 AM
Gregors,
As far as we see, your PLCM Mach3 version is not actual.
Please find the updated one here https://purelogic.ru/data/soft/elektronika_chpu/cnc_controller_plcm_mach3_soft.zip
Also having a PLCM-E4 motion controller, you have an opportunity to get Pumotix software free.
Please have a look at the thread http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/13399-Pumotix-CNC-software

gregors
05-03-2020, 10:49 PM
yup that plugin worked great, connection is now made in mach3
ive had a look at your software and may be something ill play with in the furture for now ill tick to mach3
just need to get the inputs like probe and limit switches of this board