PDA

View Full Version : Going down the correct path, Amadeal AMD25LV mill conversion to CNC

StevenT
15-07-2014, 05:52 PM
I have been reading the information and guides on this site to help me clime the steep learning curve of CNC conversion. I have a Amadeal AMD25LV mill that I wish to convert to CNC on 3 axis the M/c will mainly be used for making clock parts in brass and some light steel machining. Using the very good tutorial and spreadsheet by irving2008 (http://www.mycncuk.com/members/125-irving2008) I have calculated I need 3.1nm stepper drives for the x and y for the vertical Z axis I am considering using again a 3.1 stepper with a 2:1 timing belt to give more torque and also position the drive out of the way of any counter balance that I may need to fit, I plan to use the original lead screws but change the nuts to control backlash.

Firstly does the above sound sensible?
Secondly I have seen stepper motor and drive kits at CNC4YOU at what looks a good price! are they a good buy?, if not can someone recommend a good motor/control combination.

Lastly all my computers run on Ubuntu which is a Linux operating system so naturally I am looking at LinuxCNC, any comments please.

Thanks in anticipation

Steve

Clive S
15-07-2014, 06:16 PM
Steven The motors from cnc4you are good quality but the drives are better bought else where something like Leadshine AM882 or M860 I would think carefully about using the existing screws if they are of the acme type. Ball screws can be got from Chai at linearmotionbearings2008.
If you are used to Linux Linuxcnc is very good. ..Clive

Wal
15-07-2014, 07:29 PM

A big +1. Clive introduced me to Linux CNC and even as a newbie user, I can tell you it's great - the only thing that may have the unlikely potential to frustrate you is that the current distribution is built on 10.4. Not sure about when a new release is due.

Wal.

Neale
17-07-2014, 04:37 PM
I've been using LinuxCNC for a couple of years and haven't had any issues with it. Might change to Mach3 for my new machine, but that's because I'm thinking of using an Ethernet motion controller, and I might also use twin X motors. LinuxCNC does not support either of these things. I doubt that you will need the higher pulse rates or twin X motors for a milling machine so it's a good option.

StevenT
19-07-2014, 10:47 PM
Steven The motors from cnc4you are good quality but the drives are better bought else where something like Leadshine AM882 or M860 I would think carefully about using the existing screws if they are of the acme type. Ball screws can be got from Chai at linermotion2008 .

I have looked for "linermotion2008" on the web and cant find them! are they still in business?

irving2008
20-07-2014, 04:38 AM
Try "linearmotionbearings2008"

Clive S
20-07-2014, 08:23 AM
Try "linearmotionbearings2008"Thanks Irving I have corrected my post ..Clive