PDA

View Full Version : Sieg SX2P mill received

AlexTsekenis
04-08-2014, 08:09 PM
The mill just arrived today and since this is not a very old and well commented on mill I though of starting a thread to try and answer any questions as well as ask a few.

I ordered the mill on Arceurotrade to be delivered in Scotland. It was in stock so it only took three days to arrive from order.
It was delivered by a TNT superman who lifted the ~70kg crate out of the van.

I went for the R8 collet and metric graduations.

The mill was in good condition with all accessories advertised and nothing was broken. Disassembling the crate was very easy, just a flat screwdriver was used. The manual that comes with is is much more comprehensive than anything I had found on arceuro's website.

The mill had to go one floor up. To do this, I split it in 3 pieces on the spot: table, base with saddle and head with Z column. The head/column was the heaviest, but splitting the two would require undoing many of the electronic parts and connections.

The mill is now waiting for cleaning, oiling and lubricating. I've got Mobil 1 lubricant and white lithium grease ready. The mill was covered in heavy grease as expected, but also small amounts of an abrasive material, presumably sand. I hope this has not damaged anything while I was disassembling...

I noticed the edges of the dovetails are razor sharp. Would you recommend it is best to take the edge off at this stage?

Stay tuned!

Alex

charlieuk
12-08-2014, 08:38 AM
look forward to seeing what you do with this i have just picked up one of the same but with a different label but used one while it will do what i want at the moment there are already some basic mods i want to do the first being a belt drive conversion for the spindle and the second is a plate to reduce the column flex. For me this machine was just a cheap starting point and that doesnt take up to much room but the videos on youtube look promising for the future.

Onocyclone
24-08-2014, 07:02 PM
I received the exact same this friday. Great machine but i was using a face mill and the gib plate on the XY same loose and the whole table moved then you turned the handle. I had to tighten them up and it did the very same thing again.

One other thing is when you use the fine adjustment on the Z axis it doesn't move down the amount it says. When you set an amount and then move the drilling handle it drops down like 2-3 mm!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In not sure what to do about this !!

Help, I plan on stripping the machine down tomorrow to and clean it all and Lap the slide ways in. Locktight the gib screw in the correct position.

dazza
24-08-2014, 09:24 PM
yep I have the same bother on the z of my new sx3 it seems to stick then drop a couple of mm, and so on as your lowering it,
ive not tried to address it yet,i don't think there set up right out of the box but something you have to do your self...im seriously thinking of fitting some hiwin rail to my column.

Onocyclone
24-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Or fit a gas strut ?