PDA

View Full Version : Help please

crescent100
11-09-2014, 12:09 AM
Hi All,

I need some info on the basic 3040/3020 cnc machines listed on ebay around the £400/500 mark.

I have a customer asking me to do some engraved metal awards, about the size of an iphone and around 20mm thick.

Are these machines capable of engraving aluminium with text as deep and clean as this?
I would also need to radius the edges and mill a 3mm x 20mm circle for logo badges. So are these machines up to the job? If not what would I need?

Your help is much appreciated.

JAZZCNC
11-09-2014, 07:48 PM
I would say not for a couple of reasons.
First the spindles on the cheap machines are just junk with loads of runout so not accurate and they blow up for fun.

Second they are poorly built with cheap linear components so they have some backlash in each axis, how much is lottery and at this detail it will show up clearly.

Third relates to how much work you have for it.? At this money they have really rubbish electronics so again it's a lottery to how they last before letting out magic smoke.? At best they can be twitchy and tempramental you just have to look around the forum at the minute to see some issues folks are having.!! . . . Like I say it's a lottery.!