PDA

View Full Version : How do I take this off?

cncJim
11-09-2014, 01:17 PM
Hello,

I am planning to pick up a new (to me!) lathe next week and I am looking to reduce the weight to make it easier to move about and transport.

Could anyone advise how to remove the tailstock and the carriage (Or if it is even advisable?!?)

The lathe is a Warco BH600g and it has already had the stand removed.

Cheers,

Jim

EddyCurrent
11-09-2014, 04:35 PM
I'd leave it together, get it on a pallet and you're halfway there.

Neale
11-09-2014, 04:48 PM
I recently moved an even heavier lathe into my garage. Fortunately, I had it fork-lifted on to a hired flat-bed truck (on a pallet), and a mate with a tractor and front-loader was able to lift it off with a couple of slings under it, up the drive, and into the front of the garage. That weighed a bit over a ton, but that weight actually moves fairly easily on a pallet-lifter across a flat concrete floor. TBH, taking off the tailstock is easy, but won't make much difference, and the work involved in removing and then reassembling - accurately - the saddle/cross-slide assembly is probably not going to make much practical difference either. Something that can lift the bed and headstock "lump" will be able to lift the other bits if they're left on, I suspect. All I would say is that it is probably advisable to move the saddle to the tailstock end of the bed, as this helps overall balance.

Good luck - nice-looking machine!

cncJim
12-09-2014, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, thinking about it I agree with it being a waste of time.

Ok - Any advice on how to get the lathe out?

I have a 2 ton engine crane and a pallet truck at my disposal but the shed door is too narrow for the crane or pallet truck and there is a step. Not sure how to approach it?

Thanks,

Jim

Clive S
12-09-2014, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, thinking about it I agree with it being a waste of time.

Ok - Any advice on how to get the lathe out?

I have a 2 ton engine crane and a pallet truck at my disposal but the shed door is too narrow for the crane or pallet truck and there is a step. Not sure how to approach it?

Thanks,

JimI would take two people down with some rollers ie scaffold tube about 3 or 4 etc and an assortment of crow bars and roll it along check what the weight is on warco's site. Ask the owner how he got in in there. ..Clive

EddyCurrent
12-09-2014, 02:10 PM
If the diameter of the rollers was slightly larger than the step into the shed is high, it would roll right in onto some smaller rollers.
The pallet truck should lie on it's side and worm it's way through the doorway.

cncJim
12-09-2014, 04:14 PM
Asking the current owner - No good, he doesn't remember (long story).

Scaffold tubes and the pallet truck could be a winner though? Like this....

JAZZCNC
12-09-2014, 05:05 PM
Move anything with rollers and long levers. Two people will move this a piece of piss with rollers and plank of wood. Even easier with pallet truck and engine hoist.

Mate and me moved same machine as this 150yards and over 18" inch wall onto a trailer using 4 scaffold tubes 2 planks and 2 trolley jacks. . . . And did it in less than 1hr start to finish.!!!

cncJim
18-09-2014, 11:25 AM
Move anything with rollers and long levers. Two people will move this a piece of piss with rollers and plank of wood. Even easier with pallet truck and engine hoist.

Mate and me moved same machine as this 150yards and over 18" inch wall onto a trailer using 4 scaffold tubes 2 planks and 2 trolley jacks. . . . And did it in less than 1hr start to finish.!!!

Wow - I would not fancy moving that monster!

Well the lathe move went to plan and it is now sitting in my garage!! :)

Still need to lift it on to the cabinet but I want to give it a good clean first.