PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: Hi from Nottingham

rinderpest
18-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Hi all, I've just registered after finding signposts to this site from cnczone. I dont have a working machine yet but Im gathering bits; just got some nice steppers from Astrosyn via eBay.
When I've something to show I'll start a build thread.
Nice to see a UK biased forum for this kind of thing.
All the best, Jim

irving2008
18-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Hi all, I've just registered after finding signposts to this site from cnczone. I dont have a working machine yet but Im gathering bits; just got some nice steppers from Astrosyn via eBay.
When I've something to show I'll start a build thread.
Nice to see a UK biased forum for this kind of thing.
All the best, JimHi Jim and welcome. What size steppers did you get? I bought some Astrosyn steppers from eBay last year but not managed to get round to using them yet.

audioandy
18-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Welcome Jim

Nice to see someone else from Nottingham I think we should have a word with Lee about changing the site name to "MYCNCNOTTSUK" as there is quite a few of us on here from this area.

Regards

Andy

rinderpest
18-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome. Im not usually much of an internet communicator but now I've the CNC bug Im getting stuck in.
There are a lot of knowledgeable folk out there and sometimes a quick question before diving in can avoid expensive mistakes...
My background is mainly digital electronics and PICs, I've always liked stuff that moves on its own so CNC hits all the right notes for me.
Hell of a learning curve tho, machining seems to have centuries of occult wisdom behind it and despite lurking and reading for probably thousands of hours I know I've barely scratched the surface.
Fun times ahead!
Irving; the motors I got are MY103H702 NEMA 23 about 160 oz/in.
Not great but my budget is microscopic. I got 4 for £35 + delivery.
Im knocking up some 3977 based drivers for them, got the chips free as samples.
Im going to use 2 motors for the main axis and one each for the others.
Marchant Dice trap. thread is cheap but their machining costs are crippling; looks like threaded rod till I can afford something proper.
When I start doing something constructive I'll take photos and start a thread - still got parts to scrounge.
Jim

irving2008
18-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome. Im not usually much of an internet communicator but now I've the CNC bug Im getting stuck in.
There are a lot of knowledgeable folk out there and sometimes a quick question before diving in can avoid expensive mistakes...
My background is mainly digital electronics and PICs, I've always liked stuff that moves on its own so CNC hits all the right notes for me.
Hell of a learning curve tho, machining seems to have centuries of occult wisdom behind it and despite lurking and reading for probably thousands of hours I know I've barely scratched the surface.
Fun times ahead!
Irving; the motors I got are MY103H702 NEMA 23 about 160 oz/in.
Not great but my budget is microscopic. I got 4 for £35 + delivery.
Im knocking up some 3977 based drivers for them, got the chips free as samples.
Im going to use 2 motors for the main axis and one each for the others.
Marchant Dice trap. thread is cheap but their machining costs are crippling; looks like threaded rod till I can afford something proper.
When I start doing something constructive I'll take photos and start a thread - still got parts to scrounge.
Jim
Same motors i have, but i paid a tad more... it was £30 for ages then some b****r dropped a bid in at the last second and pushed it to £60 if memory serves.

I'm sure there'll be someone here who could machine the rod for you for some beer tokens. I would offer but my lathe not sorted enough to do my own yet!

rinderpest
18-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Wow, I hadnt even considered asking for THAT much of a favour. Perhaps when I've contributed a bit to the community I might offer negotiable commodities of their choice to anyone with the will and machinery to make that happen.
My workshop is electronics based at the moment so a crappy Lidl drill stand and a nice vice is the extent of my metal working power tools. reasonable selection of hand tools tho which is something.
Im on the lookout for a small lathe but they're rare in the sort of skips I come across, damn silicon valley based yanks seem to find anything they want in aerospace company dumpsters but since engineering seems to have gone out of fashion in this country the pickings are lean.
Jim

John S
18-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Jim,
Where about in Nottingham?
I'm always looking to swap skills with others, I'm not bad at machining but these invisible electrons keep hiding.
My solder skills are limited to 3 MiG welders, one TiG, 3 stick welders and a plasma cutter.

Doesn't do a lot for SMT components :thumbdown:

John S.

rinderpest
18-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Id have thought it would do rather TOO much to SMT components...
Im in Carrington; between Forest Fields and Sherwood.
Id really enjoy meeting up for a chinwag and skill swap, knowledge and hints from people who have done things is immeasurably better than reading.
I've a busy week ahead but I'll be in touch to see if you want to hook up.
One of my reasons for getting into CNC is to route PCBs and maybe more, SMT means some lovely functionality & high density but they're borderline usable if soldered manually.
We'll speak soon, Jim

Tom
18-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Hello Jim,

I'm new on here too and doing my best to soak up information. Keep collecting the bits and I'll keep an eye open for your build thread! :biggrin:

Tom

Smiler
18-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Same motors i have, but i paid a tad more... it was £30 for ages then some b****r dropped a bid in at the last second and pushed it to £60 if memory serves.

I'm sure there'll be someone here who could machine the rod for you for some beer tokens. I would offer but my lathe not sorted enough to do my own yet!

Welcome back Irving, missed you! :smile:

Jeff.

irving2008
18-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Welcome back Irving, missed you! :smile:

Jeff.Awww, thanks Jeff...

michael
18-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Ayup rinderpest from Derby!

Quite a few people from Notts, Derby now!
Like that Ugly git John S :joker: I don't mind helping out with a bit of turning etc, My first machine had M10 metric thread lead screws and I got pretty good results with a decent nut, Can always upgrade later mate if you get into it!

I did the below with standard 10 x 1.5mm metric threaded bar, Its about 30mm in diameter and done with a 1mm ball nose. Went about 1.5mm deep.

Sorry for crap pic was scanned in off the block of 20mm thick ally:biggrin:

http://www.mickduffin.com/pic1.jpg

Smiler
18-05-2009, 08:11 PM
:D Sweet :beer:
I'm a sentimental soul :smile:

See how the whole level of discussion has been raised since he came back? He knows about things like Ohms and Watts and Moments and things and he even stars out his swearwords! Now that's class.

Jeff.

Lee Roberts
19-05-2009, 12:03 AM
a word with Lee about changing the site name

Hummm....

http://www.mycncuk.com/images/dump/cncukNOT.jpg

:wave: :lol: :joker:

Lee Roberts
19-05-2009, 12:06 AM
The site automagically *'s out :naughty: Words

rinderpest
19-05-2009, 12:25 AM
Im well impressed with the welcome I've had; everyone seems to have a nice, constructive and helpful way about them. This morning I read loads of threads and the signal to noise ratio is great.
I dont post on forums at all - this is about the fourth I've joined and already I've made more posts here than everywhere else combined!

Michael, thats amazing especially with threaded rod. I downloaded the image and shrank it so it looked 30mm and it looks fantastic. And round too, lots less backlash than Id been led to expect from threaded rod.
Did you make your own nut out of plastic or preload two metal ones against each other?
I got some bog standard 8mm threaded rod and some stainless 8mm as well. The stainless is so much better fitting in those long nuts it seems like a different size.

If I get some of this '500mm TR16x4D Trapezoidal Leadscrew Spindle' from Marchant Dice it would be amazing if we could work something out with a bit of turning. I can help you with any electronics or computer stuff, and beer tokens as well of course. :biggrin:
I'll probably get my trapezoidal screw in a week or so but any turning can happen whenever suits you; I'll send you a PM soon.

Out of interest how long a leadscrew could your lathe turn?
In an ideal world I would have between 500 and 750mm for the X, 500mm for Y and 300 on Z.

Im dying to get my machine whizzing about as soon as possible.
I've been lurking and reading cnczone but joining here as well as getting my steppers delivered has made me get a shift on, build thread here I come.
Jim

Lee Roberts
19-05-2009, 01:13 AM
I dont post on forums at all - this is about the fourth I've joined and already I've made more posts here than everywhere else combined!

That’s fantastic, a classic example of why I knew this site would be successful, the wealth of knowledge you can get access to is priceless.

RESPECT :dance: !

build thread here I come.

Woohooo ill be keeping an eye out for it Jim, if you use the site gallery to upload your pics, it will give you a line of code for each image that you can then paste into your posts as and when you would like to show the pics.

Any problems getting started send me a PM and ill help you.

John S
19-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Jim,
Arkwell Fasteners over in Long Eaton, up the side road, Chapel Street, at the side of Do It All, stock some trapezoid screw.

Kingston Engineering [ google ] also stock this and the nuts.

John S.

rinderpest
19-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the info, I always prefer to use a smaller local business rather than a huge company with dozens of outlets.

<rant>
Theres not much choice left for stuff like that, once the big firms have driven all the little ones out of business they can charge what they like. Maplin are guilty of that - RF Potts in derby are just about the only independant component sellers in the area, unless you can persuade some telly-bodger to sell you some spare Rs & Cs.
</rant>

I'll get in touch with them and see what the crack is.
I've definately decided on trapezoid screw; its not too much more than threaded rod price wise its just the machining. But it seems as tho that might not be quite the stumbling block I thought it would be.
Kudos to Michael for saying we might be able to sort something out.:beer:

John S
19-05-2009, 11:49 AM
I have a couple of lathes that can handle 30mm screws up to about a metre and one that can handle 50mm up to about 3 metres, all capable of metric / imperial threading if anyone gets stuck.

John S

Lee Roberts
19-05-2009, 12:51 PM
I may just take you up on that John !

rinderpest
19-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Those must be some nice machines John, are they manual or CNC?
Sounds like theres going to be some cooperating going on, great stuff :beer:
I reckon those of us who dont already have machines running are going to be on the way pretty soon.